There are newer employer reviews for Pathfinder International

Smaller organization with great mission and purpose

I worked at Pathfinder International

Pros

Great mission, clear focus
Dedicated staff in many countries
Friendly atmosphere among mid and entry level staff

Cons

History of senior management power struggles
Turnover in recent years and changes means that the dust needs settling
Most people feel insecure with employment

15 Other Employee Reviews for Pathfinder International (View Most Recent)

I have been working at Pathfinder for almost two years in a junior role

Current Employee - Junior Level Staff in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Junior Level Staff in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mission-driven organization: Most of the staff are passionate about our work and the organization is well-respected among other nonprofits doing similar work.
    Benefits: Pathfinder offers great benefits for an organization of its size (health insurance, generous PTO, retirement plan with no need to contribute)
    Staff: In general, I've found many of the staff to be pleasant to work with. There are some staff who are certainly more challenging/don't seem to care or support the mission of the organization, but they would be the outliers

Cons

The reason for the 3 star rating really comes down to two things: lack of growth opportunities and senior management's lack of leadership and transparency. As a junior-level employee, there is very limited opportunities for growth. My limited job description precludes me from taking on responsibilities that prepare me for leadership roles in this field; as such I feel that I am not growing at all in my current role. My boss has been receptive about giving me more responsibilities, but I still feel that my skills and experience are underutilized. I also feel that the senior management does not value input from junior employees. Never in my two years here have I been asked to serve on a task force or provide input on big picture organizational goals. Moreover, no one seems to know how these task forces are formed (or even that they exist) until our monthly meeting where senior executives debrief the staff on what they've come up with (with no additional input from the rest of the organization). This, coupled with low morale in general, could partially explain our high turn over rate lately - people are literally leaving every week.

Almost all of the reviewers have commented on poor management practices - clearly things need to change, and fast if you want to avoid more staff departures. From the perspective of a junior employee, you really need to make an effort to be more transparent about decision-making within the organization and make an effort to engage staff at all levels within the organization. I was incredibly passionate Pathfinder's mission when I first joined, but am now starting to question whether or not this field is right for me based on my experience with this organization.

Important mission, experienced managers, reasonable opportunities for growth and for flexibility.

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pathfinder works for an incredibly important mission of sexual and reproductive health and rights around the world. I consider this work my life's mission and feel Pathfinder is the best place to work on the issues about which I care in an effective, important way. I feel lucky that the salary and benefits are generous (retirement contribution even without matching) and this has contributed to my staying with Pathfinder.

Cons

Pathfinder isn't too big so there isn't a ton of room for professional growth long-term, but it does happen and medium-term I think managers make room for progression. We all do work hard, so while there are complaints of work-life balance at Pathfinder, I believe we each have the responsibility to make it work and I think managers are generally flexible that balance can be achieved.

Keep up the progress in communication to all staff about your goals and initiatives. The monthly all-staff meetings and Extended Leadership Team and shift to our extranet/ishare have been big steps forward.

There are newer employer reviews for Pathfinder International