PayPal

On track, still growing

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

PayPal is full of great people: smart, pleasant, interesting, diverse, hip, considerate. Some of the best people I've worked with in my career. Truly some of the best in Silicon Valley. It's also a fast-growing business, which presents all sorts of opportunity from a career standpoint, and which is exciting to be part of. Finally, it's a brand that is loved by many - by buyers at least ;) - I can't tell you how often people say "I love PayPal" when I tell them I work there.

Cons

Still a company in its adolescence, there are growing pains, infrastructure, training, etc. could be improved. Also, there's no stock appreciation because it's so tied to eBay.

On the right track, stay focused

830 Other Employee Reviews for PayPal (View Most Recent)

PayPal work culture

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

PayPal is filled with very energetic people who make good company. There are highly qualified people who seem to be eager to make a difference. There is abundant work for people who actually want to work. Lately, you can see most of the engineering jobs moving offshore or to other US locations. It is a great place to work for anyone who wants or who is extremely good navigating highly political environment.

Cons

Unfair practices for promotion determination, kiss-ass work ethics, lip service to work-life balance.

Stop taking care of yourself, take care of your people and LEAD truly.

Good company, in general. Poor engineering delivery, in general.

Current Employee - Engineering Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

The company has had and probably will continue to have solid growth. Although not an expert in the area, my impression is that the BU is very competent. I think the company has a bright future if it can solve the infrastructure issues created by rapid growth. Management team works hard to maintain high employee morale.

Cons

Lake many other companies it is a bit too focused on short term. Engineering Productivity is very low and needs to improve. This means a lot of weekend work to catch-up. It is much more of a relationship company than a metric company. This means it is not what you do but how you do it that matters. Being well liked will make up for failed projects.

Focus on metrics for productivity and delivery.

There are newer employer reviews for PayPal