There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

eBay's rich banker cousin is sorta cool, but he's not for everyone.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

It's the growth engine for eBay and there's a lot of investment from the execs in growing PayPal even faster and making it stronger. PayPal's in a very dominant position in the online payments industry, which is definitely a plus. There's also a lot of cool projects for products in mobile, developing countries, microfinance, etc. The people are smart and motivated, and they have some of the eBay friendliness to them. I found everyone to be very helpful and open when I requested their time to get input on products I was researching. The benefits are great, even pet insurance. I rode the CalTrain down from SF and they subsidized that and picked everyone up with shuttles.

Cons

It's in San Jose. It's nice for some people but not for me. For my personal life i wanted to live in SF, and that meant a 2 hr commute each day on the Caltrain, or i could have done the 101. It's a big organization. If you're used to getting things down quickly with little overhead then this place can be stifling. There are many layers of management to get through to get anything done. Finally, it's a bank. When you boil things down that's what it is. So from a culture standpoint it's a bit confusing. People are friendly but not that fun (like their eBay counterparts).

Advice to Management

focus on User Experience

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

One of the best companies in Silicon Valley

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The people are really for the most part quite nice and very smart. I think that PayPal is just at the beginning of it's success. I want to be part of this phenomenon as it becomes more main stream.

Cons

The Development cycle is extremely long.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your teams. Trust and empower your teams to determine goals and deliver them.

PayPal is the best place I have worked in my career.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Talented people. Talented leadership. Business model that is exponential in it's potential for greater success.

Cons

Not as nimble or able to change as easily as it used to be. Lots of meetings.

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive and move faster.