There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

PayPal was a great friendly place to work

Former Contractor - Data Analyst in San Jose, CA
Former Contractor - Data Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and easy going. Dress is pretty casual, everyone wears jeans and a polo shirt or T-shirt. The group I worked in provided me with lots of useful feedback and career advice.

Cons

The workload for everyone in the company seemed to be very heavy. Being a financial company there is alot of red tape and process to follow.

Advice to Management

I thought the management was good. Came around to talk to everyone in the department, and was easy to approach.

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

1. Great experience, mediocre system, and poor development environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company which is doing extremely well in the marketplace. In some groups, the code you touch affects the livelihood of millions of people. A great place to learn about payments and payments processing. Some really top notch engineers.

Cons

More than a few mediocre engineers just coasting. The code base is kind of a mess, although many efforts are being made to fix things. The development environment, building and testing, was a real mess when I was there, although I hear that things have gotten a bit better.

Advice to Management

Prioritize improving the development environment, reducing needless processes, and shortening the list of objectives and priorities.

Constant org changes, poor work / life balance

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong business that continues to drive growth and profits Global reach, with a strong presence in many international markets Smart co-workers Nice campus, with great cafeterias Driving some pockets of innovation

Cons

Unwieldy technology base hampers new product development Constant re-orgs (I had 4 managers over 2 years) Constantly focusing on the next shiny new thing, sucking resources from other initiatives Cutthroat environment - not many team players 24/7 culture means poor work / life balance

Advice to Management

PayPal is no longer a small scrappy startup, so like it or not, you can't change strategies / org structures on a whim without impacting employees, partners and our customers.