PayPal

www.paypal.com

Lots of opportunity from a great yet imperfect company.

Principal Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros-Friendly and supportive culture--not a dog eat dog environment
-Great benefits and excellent eBay inc. stock program
-High performers are recognized and rewarded
-Current (though not past) management recognizes company challenges and has put bold plans in place to improve.

ConsThe company's core technology and development processes stunt innovation at the company. This makes product development progress incredibly slow and often unsatisfying to all who contribute. This has driven away many talented product managers and developers. eBay also has a penchant for constant reorganization. Every time a new senior leader comes in, a reorganization will be put in place. This flux causes churn and impedes both the company's and employees' goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop believing that reorganizations solve real problems. I've witnessed this tendency for ten years, and it has yet to yield lasting improvements to the effectiveness of teams.

Give small teams autonomy over product areas with guidance on expected results. Management still
tends to issue product edicts "This product must be built in so in so ways.." that are ill-informed and poorly conceived. Talented professionals who develop and manage products for a living will always produce better product solutions than professionals who run companies and manage people. The skill sets for these roles are not the same, and this needs to be acknowledged. Focus on the results and guide with expectations and core values.

The company *must* improve it's technology processes. All former leaders have failed at this--take the time to understand their mistakes and do not repeat them. Develop a concrete plan for this, and execute well.

A management driven company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good work environment and facilities. Work life balance Cons: Continuous changes in management and each management thinks differently. You… Advice to Senior Management: Better leadership should create leaders not borrowing them for a while and throwing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Poor if you are a technologist in North America. Good if you are on the Product side.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Outstanding coworkers and very good compensation. Cons: I have been in Software for 15 years and have never met another company where they tell you NOT to learn new technologies. Their whole… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the people on the ground, not those in the middle. Those on the ground will let you know what really works and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on PayPal.

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!