There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

Smart people in a big fast growing company.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and incredibly smart people. Some of the smartest people I have worked with in my career were at PayPal. Starting to become more of a marketing company and less of an engineering company which I think will only help growth.

Cons

Like any larger company it seems to be too heavily matrixed and there needs to be more communication between regions to take the company to the next level.

Advice to Management

More in-house promotions and less global / regional organizational changes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lots of opportunity from a great yet imperfect company.

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Friendly and supportive culture--not a dog eat dog environment -Great benefits and excellent eBay inc. stock program -High performers are recognized and rewarded -Current (though not past) management recognizes company challenges and has put bold plans in place to improve.

Cons

The company's core technology and development processes stunt innovation at the company. This makes product development progress incredibly slow and often unsatisfying to all who contribute. This has driven away many talented product managers and developers. eBay also has a penchant for constant reorganization. Every time a new senior leader comes in, a reorganization will be put in place. This flux causes churn and impedes both the company's and employees' goals.

Advice to Management

Stop believing that reorganizations solve real problems. I've witnessed this tendency for ten years, and it has yet to yield lasting improvements to the effectiveness of teams. Give small teams autonomy over product areas with guidance on expected results. Management still tends to issue product edicts "This product must be built in so in so ways.." that are ill-informed and poorly conceived. Talented professionals who develop and manage products for a living will always produce better product solutions than professionals who run companies and manage people. The skill sets for these roles are not the same, and this needs to be acknowledged. Focus on the results and guide with expectations and core values. The company *must* improve it's technology processes. All former leaders have failed at this--take the time to understand their mistakes and do not repeat them. Develop a concrete plan for this, and execute well.

Poor if you are a technologist in North America. Good if you are on the Product side.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding coworkers and very good compensation.

Cons

I have been in Software for 15 years and have never met another company where they tell you NOT to learn new technologies. Their whole goal is instead have you devote your time to getting people in India to up to speed and to do the work for you. As a result of this, the opportunities and career path are very limited. Forget training. I did not experience this for the first few years when I joined - at that time it was a thriving environment, but this is what the company has become - and it shows as internal quality has gone down and we are not up on the newest/best technologies. Additionally, if you get a good manager, things can be ok, if not, your career will die. There seems to be no decent way of regulating this from the top. Lastly, promotions and career growth are non-existent if you are on the technology side. It is significantly better if you are on the business one.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the ground, not those in the middle. Those on the ground will let you know what really works and what does not. Make sure management knows what their employees are doing (strangely, often they do not) - things in technology do not get magically done on their own.