There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

Company is good. But the top management above directors are pretty bad

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company and the working culture is good. It was once a best place to work and not any more. Peers and your reporting managers are good. But after that no one is good.

Cons

The management people don't know what they are doing. They lack ideas and innovation. They don't bring in any innovation or world changing ideas. If it comes from the bottom down they won't appreciate it. They don't recognize you for anything. I have worked here for 6+ years as a contractor and proved several times. But they never wanted me to convert in to a full time employee. The VPs are bureaucratic. They want work from me but they don't want full time employees. Because they need all from IITs and MITs. What an idea? Beware this company's code is the stupidest way of doing things. All dirty if and while loops. For that they dont need any body from IIT or MIT. Even a normal school kid can do it.
They will never promote you.

Advice to Management

There are reduntant VP positions. Allow people to innovate and appreciate them who ever they are. PayPal is going down with lack of innovation and appreciation from people. you can sustain only because of the existing customers for few more years. But for sure if you don't take any action you are going down PayPal.

reviews filtered by

no room to grow

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

payment industry, mobile payment, offline solution

Cons

no room to grow, no promotion, no visibility

2. New hires beware

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So-called "Work and life balance"

Cons

When they layoff, the new hires are likely to become victims - happened to me in 2008. Looking in retrospective it is unclear what the motives are to open these positions in the first place, when the decision makes clearly knew what was coming. Beware when you get an offer from them!

There are newer employer reviews for PayPal