PayPal

www.paypal.com

Decent place to work - PayPal Veteran

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Good, friendly colleagues
- Projects are usually interesting
- Pays reasonably well, compared to market.
- Freedom to make tactical decisions

Cons- Management positions can be very political.
- Like most other places, Sr. level promotions are handed to either favorites or those who patiently wait for their "turn". You might ask, how about competency? Go figure:-)
- Most Engineering Managers, Directors, and above, don't even understand the product they are managing. Don't look up to them for any technical guidance or even discuss some of the challenges.
- Software Development environment would probably be one of the worst in the industry.
- It's astonishing that the company of this size doesn't have good/mature process. Production roll out process is painfully bureaucratic and highly inefficient to say the least. They should seriously consider outsourcing the entire Release Management and Release Engineering.
- Some teams have super easy life and some work under constant intense pressure.
- Old timers are leaving company at a record rate. It's high time management should take action before it's too late.

Advice to Senior Management- Hire more "technical" leaders for Technology Leadership positions. Stop hiring "resource" managers.
- Maintain a running list of talented people with most influence/impact and use them strategically to transform the company into a more dynamic company. Otherwise, you will end up like eBay, when most managers/directors are just resource managers with fat paychecks.

Amazing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal

Pros: Great place to work and learn Cons: Bell curve needs to go Advice to Senior Management: Drop the "bell curve" its dividing employees and making them not want to exceed.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was a fun party while it lasted but I'm ready to leave

Fraud Senior Agent (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal

Pros: The benefits are PayPal are really great if you take advantage of them. They all start on the first day of employment. 4% - 401K… Cons: I used to love to work at PayPal I would actually get excited to see the building when I first started working there. Since Meg… Advice to Senior Management: Pay attention to what your supervisors are doing. A lot of them have their positions due to the being hired at the right time and… More
There are newer reviews on PayPal.

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!