PayPal

Decent place to work - PayPal Veteran

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

- Good, friendly colleagues
- Projects are usually interesting
- Pays reasonably well, compared to market.
- Freedom to make tactical decisions

Cons

- Management positions can be very political.
- Like most other places, Sr. level promotions are handed to either favorites or those who patiently wait for their "turn". You might ask, how about competency? Go figure:-)
- Most Engineering Managers, Directors, and above, don't even understand the product they are managing. Don't look up to them for any technical guidance or even discuss some of the challenges.
- Software Development environment would probably be one of the worst in the industry.
- It's astonishing that the company of this size doesn't have good/mature process. Production roll out process is painfully bureaucratic and highly inefficient to say the least. They should seriously consider outsourcing the entire Release Management and Release Engineering.
- Some teams have super easy life and some work under constant intense pressure.
- Old timers are leaving company at a record rate. It's high time management should take action before it's too late.

- Hire more "technical" leaders for Technology Leadership positions. Stop hiring "resource" managers.
- Maintain a running list of talented people with most influence/impact and use them strategically to transform the company into a more dynamic company. Otherwise, you will end up like eBay, when most managers/directors are just resource managers with fat paychecks.

810 Other Employee Reviews for PayPal (View Most Recent)

Amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

Great place to work and learn

Cons

Bell curve needs to go

Drop the "bell curve" its dividing employees and making them not want to exceed. Other companies have tried, and they have failed. Lets get back to keeping it real.

It was a fun party while it lasted but I'm ready to leave

Current Employee - Fraud Senior Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Fraud Senior Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

The benefits are PayPal are really great if you take advantage of them. They all start on the first day of employment. 4% - 401K matching, stock purchase plan, tuition reimbursement up to 5400 a year. Low cost insurance that will pay for almost anything including in vitro. Casual attire can wear jeans and sneakers. If you don't have a college degree or never been to college this will probable be the best paying job you will be able to find. On the other hand if you did go to college like me and have your BA that will not help you.

Cons

I used to love to work at PayPal I would actually get excited to see the building when I first started working there. Since Meg Whitman left everything has really gone downhill. There aren't any advancement opportunities in Omaha all new jobs are being moved to Chandler Arizona. They actually said that in an company wide email. So why try to harder to advance if there is no where to go? They change their mind so much about things they are like a 14 year old girl changes her crush every other week. They more on to new platforms while the existing one are still broken and need repair. Things have not worked there in years. There are misspelling and bad grammar in the system generated emails we send to our customers that make us look illiterate but no one know who to tell to get that corrected so we all just deal with it. None of the different departments communicate with each other and we waste a lot of manpower correcting mis routing of escalations instead of reaching out and informing them how they are doing things is incorrectly. This is the best we are required to take a consistency test that is part of our metrics that determine our raise. If we get less than a certain percentage we get on docs. The test we took had three wrong answers on it I brought it up to management and they still haven't done anything! What about the person that wrote it? Do they get on docs or does everyone who took it just suffer for the ignorance. Supervisors are very mean. You ask them nicely to fix something you can't fix for 1 month. They say there are going to do it but when you inquire about it about a while they shoot back a nasty email that makes you cry.

Pay attention to what your supervisors are doing. A lot of them have their positions due to the being hired at the right time and advanced during the "heyday" from "2004-2007". They need to be given time to work with, help advance, groom there employees. Not just there to approve our time cards. I would love to get the attention of our VP's like our customers do when they email them. Why isn't there a way I can communicate to Scott Thompson? I would tell them sending out system email with the phrase. "What the Problem?" as a header at the beginning sounds like the catch phrase of chubby 10 year old on a 1980's sitcom wearing a beret and suspenders.
    We are telling people we are holding their money we until we get information from them we should be more tactful and professional.

There are newer employer reviews for PayPal