PayScale
www.payscale.com Seattle, WA 50 to 149 Employees

High quality of life, low stress, challenging and meaningful work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time for more than a year

ProsWe're a small tech company that is transforming how compensation data is done. This turns out to be a $1B industry and we're just scratching the surface, so there is huge potential because every business needs to know how to pay their people.

PayScale is a warm and friendly place to work. People have lunch together. Lots of laughter. There's an energetic buzz in the air. And people get to know each other across teams (I'm a developer but I have great relationships with people in Sales, Marketing, Account Management, etc).

Specific for the dev teams:
We have a very lightweight agile-like process for getting things done. Work/life balance is excellent and it's not on accident -- mgmt explicitly encourages this because it leads to happy developers and better quality code. There is a culture of mentorship and willingness to help each other out as needed.

Code quality is good. Low turnover. I can depend on and trust my teammates to get things done and do it well. Lots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies and keep moving the platform and products forward. We've used a lot of Microsoft technologies in the past but we're rapidly incorporating open-source software across the full stack such as MongoDB, PhantomJS, and Knockout.

Every quarter we have hack day and spend the day writing code, exploring technologies, and eating good food. Many, many projects have turned into features in production. Feels like there's always some fun company activity going on, whether it's a party, trip to the Mariners game, picnic, or even bring-your-dog-to-work day.

ConsOf course no company is perfect. I have some frustrations about PayScale but really they are so minor that it's not worth writing about. Ok, I'll give an example: there is sometimes friction between depts but you're going to find that at any company with more than a handful of people. Even with friction, I think most people will agree that the outcomes are best for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat are the top or 3 key things holding us back? Let's solve them so we can grow even quicker.

Fun culture, great pay, challenging, but not perfect

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time for more than a year

Pros: Its a great place to work because there really isn't any direct competition. When it comes to salary data, innovative technology, and expertise...nobody really… Cons: Typical pains of fast-growing companies...many areas need to grow but there are only so many resources to dedicate at a time. Need better branding… Advice to Senior Management: Send the managers to training to learn how to manage people...not just coach on sales strategy.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros: The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales… Cons: Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far. Major differences… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on PayScale.

Worked for PayScale? Contribute to the Community!

PayScale – Why Work for Us?

Whether it’s the employee looking for a raise or the CFO trying to tame labor spending, the issue of employee compensation inspires emotion – anger, triumph, anxiety and relief. Long managed in secret by employers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PayScale reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PayScale CEO Mike Metzger. All reviews posted anonymously by PayScale employees.