There are newer employer reviews for PayScale

High quality of life, low stress, challenging and meaningful work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're a small tech company that is transforming how compensation data is done. This turns out to be a $1B industry and we're just scratching the surface, so there is huge potential because every business needs to know how to pay their people.

PayScale is a warm and friendly place to work. People have lunch together. Lots of laughter. There's an energetic buzz in the air. And people get to know each other across teams (I'm a developer but I have great relationships with people in Sales, Marketing, Account Management, etc).

Specific for the dev teams:
We have a very lightweight agile-like process for getting things done. Work/life balance is excellent and it's not on accident -- mgmt explicitly encourages this because it leads to happy developers and better quality code. There is a culture of mentorship and willingness to help each other out as needed.

Code quality is good. Low turnover. I can depend on and trust my teammates to get things done and do it well. Lots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies and keep moving the platform and products forward. We've used a lot of Microsoft technologies in the past but we're rapidly incorporating open-source software across the full stack such as MongoDB, PhantomJS, and Knockout.

Every quarter we have hack day and spend the day writing code, exploring technologies, and eating good food. Many, many projects have turned into features in production. Feels like there's always some fun company activity going on, whether it's a party, trip to the Mariners game, picnic, or even bring-your-dog-to-work day.

Cons

Of course no company is perfect. I have some frustrations about PayScale but really they are so minor that it's not worth writing about. Ok, I'll give an example: there is sometimes friction between depts but you're going to find that at any company with more than a handful of people. Even with friction, I think most people will agree that the outcomes are best for the company.

Advice to Management

What are the top or 3 key things holding us back? Let's solve them so we can grow even quicker.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fun culture, great pay, challenging, but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great place to work because there really isn't any direct competition. When it comes to salary data, innovative technology, and expertise...nobody really competes. They're growing very fast and have been growing exponentially in both customers and data since I've been here over the past two years.

One great thing about working for a company that focuses on helping other companies retain and grow the best talent, they take care of their people. Salaries are very competitive, if you're successful. I find the job challenging because you're working with all different types of companies and most sales contacts are HR. The biggest challenge is that almost everyone loves the data and tools, but so many organizations today still don't give HR the credit and autonomy that they need to make the business a better place to work. Lots of consultative coaching involved and to be successful, you have to always be adapting and self-evaluating.

Once you are here for a while, there are a lot of external opportunities that open up because its a challenge and other local companies know that if you're successful here, you've got great potential.

I feel loyal to PayScale because they've shown a lot of faith and investment in me personally. I think its really that you get what you put in and they reward those who are enthusiastic and truly believe in the product. Open door management policy is also nice.

Cons

Typical pains of fast-growing companies...many areas need to grow but there are only so many resources to dedicate at a time. Need better branding because most people should know about PayScale by now...but most don't. That will probably come in time.

Company is kind of at capacity and career mobility is somewhat stagnant...not many places to go after sales but again, that will likely change as the company keeps growing.

Base salary could be more competitive for Sr. level AEs who have proven themselves....hard to retain these folks due to base salary and strong competition locally.

Need to send managers to training.

Advice to Management

Send the managers to training to learn how to manage people...not just coach on sales strategy. Invest in outside sales training. To be a master, one must never stop training.

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

Cons

Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.