There are newer employer reviews for PayScale

Long time employee, still extremely satisified

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at PayScale as a naive 24 year old with little-to-no related job experience, but the team recognized that I had potential (and, I hope I've realized some of what they saw). I've been continually handed more responsibility and control of our products and my destiny here. It's been a hell-of-a-ride, and I'm still looking forward to what we're working on.

Our product teams have been very lean for a long time, so we're very focused on what we're working on, and everyone on the team makes a big impact.

The culture combined with the work-life balance here is unparalleled. We work hard for 8 or 9 hours a day, then go home. We work on nights and weekends when necessary, but for the most part, that's only necessary in very extreme circumstances (site is crashing). Some of my coworkers have become some of my best friends.

Office location is amazing. Pioneer Square is totally ideal for small companies. It's the transportation hub of Seattle: buses, ferries, trains, bikes... it's really easy to get to. Some of the newest and best restaurants are popping up around us. Also, all the food of the ID/Chinatown -- so good.

Cons

We've been very lean for a long time -- so sometimes you're so busy it's hard to step back and view certain aspects from the high-level.

Continue to invest more in the technology team.

30 Other Employee Reviews for PayScale (View Most Recent)

Worked at PayScale for 1.5 years

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time for more than a year

Pros

PayScale has a great culture. The training is much improved. You are selling a product that is a bit of a standalone and the development is great, constantly upgrading. It can be a nice break from a very transnational sale so it is less stressful of an environment. Very good program for Sales Development, and room for them to get promoted to sales.

Cons

I would not recommend this job for a long time sales rep looking to really blossom. This is a great company for young go getters with little to no sales experience. The training is less hands on and more automated. Great training comes in time, which is something I would change. I learned some very key aspects after being there for 6 months and thought, I wish I knew that on day 3.

Promote more internal communication. Since sales is about finding your rhythm, make sure you are providing the environment to get full potential out of all your reps. Several reps from other teams mentioned not getting sales training or attention when they needed it, which you may read in other posts, however, they have fixed this issue since then. I came in as an experienced rep, I knew what had made me successful with other companies, I was anxious to ramp up quickly but there was a disconnect between my learning style and the coaching style. My advice in this case would be to take advantage of the situations where outside experiences may benefit success.

Avoid Sales

I worked at PayScale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location, can walk everywhere.

Cons

Some of the worst sales management I have ever seen or even heard of. Teams work in silo's, dont' share training, ideas or even common goals, they end up competing against each other which is actually encouraged. Young talent doesn't equate to knowledgeable or experienced. One of their executive leaders is downright hostile, unless you are one of the 2-3 people that are in their inner circle. It is borderline verbal abuse. CEO does absolutely nothing about it, this company would be so much better if he paid attention and took some action. Turnover is outrageously high and has been a huge problem for several years but they prefer to bury their heads and ignore it instead of finding a solution. Only a few sales executives actually meet their goals. For a company that consults with other comapnies about high turnover, they need to listen to their own advice.

Instead of trying to be everyone's buddy that you go out and party with, take some action with your poor leadership.

There are newer employer reviews for PayScale

Worked for PayScale? Contribute to the Community!