Paychex

www.paychex.com
  www.paychex.com
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great benefits, but very low pay for the amount of work required.

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist
Former Employee - Payroll Specialist

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent medical/dental/vision
401k
2 weeks of vacation to start
Solid training programs

Cons

Extremely low pay for work required. In some locations, payroll specialists start at $12/hour. This seems ok for the work you think you'll be doing... talking to clients and entering payroll, which is what you are trained for in Rochester, NY for 2 weeks. When you get back to your branch, however, the work load is almost unbearable. In addition to entering payroll, you are also a one-stop shop for your clients. Payroll laws, Human resource concerns, product sales, pricing, amending tax returns by hand, dealing with child support agencies, state agencies, IRS, researching and resolving EVERY agency related notice your clients receive, tax law issues, being tech support for clients entering their own payroll online, and explaining information to CPA's and accountants might be on your plate in any given day. There's no training for this in Rochester. It's all on the job.

$12 for data entry is reasonable. $12 for a college graduate to do all of the above is embarrassing.

Pay that is commensurate with the actual job requirements and workload would be outstanding.

689 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Don't believe the "100 Best Places to work for" hype

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and the customers

Cons

I been told, "It depends upon the branch that one works in". I guess that it is true. Branches outside of So Cal really seem to appreciate their payroll specialists. The corporate mantra is" that to the customer, the payroll specialist is Paychex". Unfortunately, no one within the branch sees that relationship as special. Payroll specialists are treated as one-step removed from the janitor. That is too bad, because we payroll specialists really like building relationships/friendships with our customers. In addition, we also providing the best service that we can so that our customers can concentrate on other areas of their business.

A typical day: contacting a scheduled list of clients to get the payroll information. Processing that information - ensuring accurate input.

What I learned: That Paychex is a place that will suck all of the joy out of your life.

Mgt: see above

Co-workers: Fellow workers that are in the trenches w/you - LOVE YOU!

Hardest part: Management - see above

Most enjoyable: The Customers!

see above

Good place to work, but expect heavy workload

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a decent amount of PTO, sick days, etc. The training is extensive and prepares you to answer most tax law/payroll questions.

Cons

Pay can be higher for the amount of workload you have. It's absurd the amount of work senior management expects you to complete which translates into poor customer service. There is a major disconnect between senior management and the payroll specialist. As a payroll specialist you are expected to wear many different hats and do a wide array of all different tasks, which shouldn't be our job. Client count is beyond absurd, absolutely not enough time in a day to complete what you are asked to do.

Be willing to shell out some money to help your employees to reap the benefits as a company in the long run. Hiring an extra specialist or two at each branch would do wonders in decreasing our client count, which will translate into better customer service. Switch up the company's business model. Allow other departments to take on more responsibility that we shouldn't have to be responsible for (i.e. billing). Create more opportunities for pay and/or incentives for certain accomplishments. Let supervisors help their groups rather than be off doing certain projects (or hire a core manager) at smaller branches.

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex