Paychex

www.paychex.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Low pay. Great people. Good entry level IT job.

Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY
Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The benefits are good and I've made many friends among my coworkers. The company is also fairly stable and has a track record of success.

Cons

Payscale is unfair (should be more merit-based). Compensation is well below industry averages.

Paychex' management needs to reevaluate the role of IT. TG realized at the advent of the PC that people were going to have more tools at their disposal to run their own payroll so they've been focusing on benefits and selling all sorts of new features on top of payroll. While I agree that this is a good move, they have failed to recognize that our product is not just a service; it's software. Without a good software product and IT infrastructure, sales has nothing to sell and operations has nothing to operate.

734 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

This is a great entry level job for a young kid looking to transition to a career in sales soon.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

In an economy that has so many people doubting the stability of there job, paychex is a very solid company to work for. It is one of the top 100 companies to work for in fortune 500, and is one of the top job providers in Rochester, NY.

Cons

It seems hard to move up ther ladder unless you know someone on the inside. If you are not a sales oriented person, it is hard to make a decent amount of money.

Pay your operations people better, especially the ones that deal directly with the clients. This will reduce the turnover of the people in those positions and also increase client retention. So many clients leave us because our sales people promise them the world, but once they are on borad with us, they feel like they are forgotten about when the are always loosing their payroll specialists, or mistakes are made because people in operations don't feel compensated enough and aren't happy at there jobs.

I continue to be impressed with this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Company excels in training and emphasizing work-life balance. Despite it being a very large company, it has the feel of family on a local level. Despite an emphasis on 'numbers', productivty and client satisfaction, management will continue to seek partnership with employees to extract positive results.
    Company will always ere on the side of conservative - with technology as well as the conveyance or transfer of information. It is almost ridiculous how cautious they are when it comes ot security. Not convenient for employees, but reassuring for clients.

Cons

Company notoriously under pays. Competition among members of middle management is unrealistic. Client loads can be too large to give the level of service desired. The right hand does not always know what the left hand is doing which creates frustration.

Please, please, please cross-train. When departments communicate, they only have sight of their small piece of the pie. There needs to be some inter-departmental diversity training. It is essential that experts in a particular area know how the entire product works - full circle.

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex