Paychex

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Enjoyed Working at Paychex

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out a sales career! Stimulating work environment (lots of math), great training, friendly co-workers. Learn the ropes for a couple of years before moving on to a higher caliber, higher paying sales job. Nice resume builder.

Cons

Very metric driven and low base salary. Expect to put 20-40,000 miles per year on your personal vehicle (and pay out of pocket for the privilege). Territories are generally cut back every June so don't get too attached.

Paychex is a comfortable place to work, eg: after a while one doesn't have to work very hard to make a decent living. You are a large company - challenge your more ambitious employees by offering more mobility and training for other LOB's. Not everyone strives to become a sales manager.

733 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Great company, Great products/services, but pay needs to be adjusted

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, professional company culture, excellent sales training (Top 125 in U.S.), Work vs. life balance pretty good, great company to start sales career and move on in 1-3 years, Great reputation in the industry

Cons

Base pay for territory sales rep $38K (I started in 2011 with Paychex, made this base 9 years ago with another Fortune 500 company), Commissions can vary greatly depending upon performance, Very demanding job and huge learning curve, You have to bust your butt to make $75K (Conference level), reality is about $50-$65K (and this won't come easy the 1st year)

Base pay needs to be higher to keep "true sales professionals". $38K base to start (with no negotiation for previous experience) is not acceptable. My eyes and ears are will always be open for a better offer for higher compensation. It's a no brainer. Work load vs. compensation is not comparable. More rural type territories need a higher gas mileage comp package. Let your reps sell and not have to worry so much about reporting. This is one of the main factors most reps get turned off by the job. It feels like baby sitting, instead of coaching on how to close a sale. This is all that matters! --ON A GOOD NOTE, THE SALES TRAINING PROCESS AT PAYCHEX IS UNMATCHED!

Horrible- we called it PayHell if that's any indication

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You could move up in pay somewhat quickly. The people that I met were GREAT, I made some lifelong friends.

Cons

Very stressful most people that worked there had about 100 clients and would also have to answer calls in the queue. They would go back on their word when it came to promotions, I knew people that were promoted and made less in that position than people that were hired off the street because apparently there is a rule that no one is allowed more than a dollar increase. So going from Data Entry where the pay was $11 people were only allowed to go to $12 when outsiders that were hired made $13 to $14. Most people I knew were on anti-anxiety medication that was prescribed to them after working at PayChex.

Hire more people so that there is not such a high client to rep ratio. That would help with morale with the reps on the Major Market Services side.

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex