There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great Place to start your career

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Installs great work ethic
Excellent training programs

Cons

Hard to achieve work / life balance
Tend to micro-manage workforce

Slow to adapt to the downturn in the economy

625 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Sales 101

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training, good team environment and team builders. I was lucky to work on a great team with a fantastic manager, it made it tough to leave. You can work from home once you've proven yourself, but will need to come in Monday mornings and Fridays.

Cons

Stress stress stress. Zone manager hears it from his highers ups when he doesn't hit his numbers, your manager hears it from him and you'll hear it from your manager.You need to work really hard and build up for a few years...but in reality the hard work never stops. Appointment quotas, if you don't reach your appt quota you're dialing at 8am Friday morning. You'll see a daily email of your sold/submitted along with everyone else in your zone.

You guys were good to me throughout my whole tenure. I don't blame management for the stress, it's just how Paychex is built. I realized that I could make more money busting my behind at another job.

Premier Payroll Specialist-Lehigh Valley-Retired.

Former Employee - Premier Payroll Specialist  in  Lehigh Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Premier Payroll Specialist in Lehigh Valley, PA

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great coworkers, truly a team effort. Good Branch Manager. Accrued time off very fair. Job stability in a shaky economy. I worked in this Branch 10 years before retiring

Cons

Heavy work load, every day was like trying to put 10 lbs of potatoes in a twenty lb bag.Some of the direct supervisors of payroll specialists do not have a clue as what pressures the specialists are dealing with.The good supervisors are as overworked as the specialists, because they care about their employees. Pay is not in line with the requirements of the job.I was thinking about going to a competitor for more money during a wage freeze and 401K match freeze. The Branch Manager got me a large raise to stay which I really appreciated. He must have gone to God.

Upper management must look at the pay rate and manageable workload for payroll specialists, especially the specials with 2 to 3 years tenure. When the economy improves there will be a mass exodus.

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!