Extremely fulfilling career!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a current Paychex employee, I can proudly say what a rewarding experience my career has been. I have worked for several other companies, and the management is top notch. I take personal offense to the review that called them "laughable", because I truly believe they have made me a better, more successful salesperson and employee. As a working mom, they have been encouraging, supportive and realistic. I have literally never had a better management team. In addition, I have experience working for two separate Paychex locations. I can say, without a doubt, that the denver teams and sales office is a positive, fun place to be. There will always be those few people that try to bring the rest of the group down with their negativity, but as salespeople, you have control over your own destiny. As a salesperson, you have control over your attitude, your environment, and just as importantly, your income. The harder you work, the more money you will make. The base may be lower than some, but I went into sales to EARN my money, not have it given to me. There are plenty of positions in Paychex where you can go to work every morning and make a decent salary by showing up and doing the same tasks every day. The beauty of this job, is that every day is different, every client is a unique situation, and every sale is a personal accomplishment. The territories are also very different, and the reps are chosen based on their individual personalities and skills, which helps each person succeed. It is obvious that a lot of time and effort go into choosing the best person for each team and territory. If there is turnover, it is because salespeople tend to have personalities that drive them - always looking for the next high (sale/accomplishment), change of scenery, etc. it is easy to get caught up in the 'grass is always greener" scenario, but successful people stick with their goal and work hard to get there. Paychex allows you to do this, if you are willing to do your job and work for it. Finally, I agree with the disgruntled employee that Denver South is a phenomenal team. The people and manager make me want to work harder and make my team proud. However, I would be honored to work for any of the three teams. Each team has an atmosphere and qualities that make them unique. It is wonderful that we have the opportunity to work with a team that best fits our personality. With that said, go Team South!

Cons

There is a large amount of paperwork that goes into each sale, which can be burdensome. There is quite a bit of competition in the market, which can make some sales difficult. Some territories are spread out, and you have to very disciplined with your time management.

Advice to Management

Send potential employees on more field rides with teammates. This will provide opinions from reps who are in the field more often, and possibly a more realistic view of candidates. Communicate all possible changes and issues, before rumors begin. Address rumors openly, and encourage honest communication about training, guidelines, standards and policies. Continue to treat reps as equal partners in the decision making processes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training with great growth potential. As a sales rep you will open alot of doors for yourself if you are able to achieve conference or circle achievements.

Cons

Culture from office to office vary greatly . This is Large company so I would definitely research the overall performance of the manager and staff before considering working for them. There might opportunities available in different office nearby that would better suit your goals.

Advice to Management

Great Job! I have been very fortunate in having great managers.

Poor management - company embroiled in process and bureaucracy

Current Employee - Programmer in Webster, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer in Webster, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company. Decent benefits. As of recent have good access to technology, tools, and equipment.

Cons

I agree with a couple of other reviews. The software development side of the house is a mess. Development techniques are dated and produce software built for the 1980's. It's managed poorly. If you work in test you sit around idle most of the time and then for one week everything is a crisis. There are too many managers and leaders who cannot get out of the past. There are a lot of good developers and even more bad ones. It takes us 5 times as many programmers to create code that's substandard and not up to the times. Expect to either spend your time twiddling your thumbs or in a crisis being sworn and yelled at by irrational leaders who would never survive in a modern software development organization. If you want to work in IT, work in an area outside of software development and testing. There is so much bureaucracy and process here that it slows down everything. It's impossible to do anything without it getting embroiled in committee. When we complain about process, they even create process to eradicate process. Most of our management lives in meetings and comes out of them with little or nothing to show except more ways to inhibit real work

Advice to Management

Change out your entire development leadership team and hire folks who get things done instead of spend their valuable time in conference rooms