There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Becoming too reliant on contractors

Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer II in Webster, NY
Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer II in Webster, NY

I have been working at Paychex as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a contractor I am not saddled with long hours or the stress of caring if the company is going in the right direction, which greatly supports my work/life balance!

Cons

The software development and test teams I am part of consist of well over half of the team members being contractors. The contractor rates are low, and the quality people work hard to move on to better paying positions while the mediocre or less qualified people keep hanging on. There is little motivation to perform at high levels since there is no room for advancement or pay increase, and little likelihood of a direct position in the current environment.

Advice to Management

Adding more and more contractors will not increase the speed of project completion. Focus on hiring qualified people and supplementing with contractors when needed. The culture is starting to suffer and all the cheap help in the world won't help you fix that.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. HR generalist

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work flexibility, hours, field work.

Cons

Salary and management may not always be the right fit.

Advice to Management

Some managers need more training and development.

Over worked and under paid

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When asked how I like my job the first thing I always say is that I love the people I work with. It is a very positive work environment and we make the most of it. Decent potential for extra income through sales referals. Most of the clients are very nice to deal with and make the success of the day very rewarding

Cons

Pay scale does not reflect the amount of work we do. Management is very out of touch with the actual opperations on the floor. Company rolls out these new manditory procedures and then never follows through on anything. Extremely high stress envorimnent with time sensitive material. Your pile of work never gets any smaller. Get one task done and two more are waiting for you. Did I mention the pay doesn't reflect all that we deal with?

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for the work they perform and devolop a feedback system before rolling out new manditory procedures