There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Novato, CA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Novato, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extensive interview process, and I went out in the field with another rep to shadow to see if it is something I could see myself doing. I love that this was part of the interview process, they really want to see if you can fit into the culture.
Each employee has about 30k invested them prior to even stepping foot in the field. You have a job dependent test - they want to hire for longevity, and have never had a company lay off in over 40 years.
You can make your schedule once you are done with your training. You still will love meetings twice a week at your office, but for the most part, you can flex what you need to do - especially great if you have a family. This company is very supportive and generous with supporting you personally and professionally.
Your base salary is very generous - and incentives for sales credits are HUGE! The sky is the limit with this job. There are awesome incentives to do well.
Awesome team to be part of - my Manager has made an incredible culture at our office, and encourages us to make long lasting relationships with our clients. This company gives you the world on a silver platter - you just have to get out there and perform! The CEO meets everyone at the first training - with 12k employees, pretty phenomenal that you get to meet him.
They set you up with a tablet, iphone, expense money, stipend for your car, and updated training constantly.
1/3 of the job is training, 1/3 of the job is networking for business, and 1/3 is being in the field.
if you ask me, if you get in with Paychex - you will never have a reason to leave!

Cons

You are on the road a lot and it can get lonley - but your team does communicate with you often.
There is mandatory telemarketing and cold calling, you have to be bold enough to keep your A game on! It's only for a few hours a week.

Advice to Management

Get a great District Sales Manager and positive employees - you can't go wrong!

reviews filtered by

Stable, but that can also mean stagnant

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company with no history of layoffs or other internal shake-ups. Decent benefits package. Good access to training... if you seek it out yourself. Trying to reinvent itself a bit with the new management at the helm. The fate of nearby Kodak has woken them up to the fact that the world is a very different place today than when the company was founded.

Cons

They like to think "Innovation" is one of their "Core Values", but a large 40+ year-old financial services company like this doesn't know the first thing about true innovation. Have an idea? Good luck getting it through 7 layers of bureaucracy. If you're lucky your idea will get shot down in a few months, but that's okay because it's probably too late to implement it by then anyway. And for a company sitting on loads of cash and no debt, they sure are stingy with the purse strings. They also hemorrhage employees, losing them to competitors at an alarming rate. Which seems strange, since they invest so much time and money into training their employees, yet they don't work equally hard at making those employees want to stick around. There also tends to be a lot of "lifers", which is to say dead weight employees who are just keeping their heads down and biding their time as long as they can since they know they have no other job prospects. And the hiring process requires passing a math exam, when what they really need is a computer literacy exam, since that runs rampant throughout the company. It's tough to innovate when 90% of your employees don't even know what the Windows key on their keyboard does. This is one garden that could use some serious weeding.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind who really runs the company. Not sure? Try giving all the officers a month off and see how the company fares. Trust me, things would go off without a hitch. Then give the individual (bottom level) contributors a month off and see what happens. You'll be out of business before the month is out. Remember who to thank the next time you're collecting your fat bonuses at their expense.

2. This is a great company to work for

I worked at Paychex

Pros

this is a great company to work for

Cons

there is nothing wrong with this company

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex