Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative
Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paychex is a great company to work for. They provide excellent training to make all of their employees experts in their field. Their benefits package and strong company ethics makes it descent place to work.

Cons

January...you have to start selling in September to meet your quota for January and still make monthly goal along the way. From September to February it's like having 3 jobs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Paychex can be great if you're in the right division

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Small business has a great platform, easy to use, very good customer service, and a name that you can't beat on the street. Develop your CPA relationships and they'll find business for you. You get new business from your exisiting client's growth, so it's nice to get a good freebie here and there.

Cons

The major markets platform is about 10 years too old, while management promises and promises to offer large business sales people a good product platform it's failed to materialize. That means you're selling with the most out of date technology, you have to "out sell" the look and feel of your service. Calling into lost clients is a huge issue, as most don't want to meet with you unless you have a new product, which you don't. The pay is the lowest in the industry, Paychex feels like it's so great to work there they can offer 10-20% less than other industry leaders, side note, it's not.

Advice to Management

Spend money in technology, give people a raise in base pay to account for the fact that selling the oldest technology in the industry is tough.

Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Novato, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive interview process, and I went out in the field with another rep to shadow to see if it is something I could see myself doing. I love that this was part of the interview process, they really want to see if you can fit into the culture. Each employee has about 30k invested them prior to even stepping foot in the field. You have a job dependent test - they want to hire for longevity, and have never had a company lay off in over 40 years. You can make your schedule once you are done with your training. You still will love meetings twice a week at your office, but for the most part, you can flex what you need to do - especially great if you have a family. This company is very supportive and generous with supporting you personally and professionally. Your base salary is very generous - and incentives for sales credits are HUGE! The sky is the limit with this job. There are awesome incentives to do well. Awesome team to be part of - my Manager has made an incredible culture at our office, and encourages us to make long lasting relationships with our clients. This company gives you the world on a silver platter - you just have to get out there and perform! The CEO meets everyone at the first training - with 12k employees, pretty phenomenal that you get to meet him. They set you up with a tablet, iphone, expense money, stipend for your car, and updated training constantly. 1/3 of the job is training, 1/3 of the job is networking for business, and 1/3 is being in the field. if you ask me, if you get in with Paychex - you will never have a reason to leave!

Cons

You are on the road a lot and it can get lonley - but your team does communicate with you often. There is mandatory telemarketing and cold calling, you have to be bold enough to keep your A game on! It's only for a few hours a week.

Advice to Management

Get a great District Sales Manager and positive employees - you can't go wrong!