There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at Paychex because once you are up and running you make your own schedule and run your business. It is definitely a what have you done for me lately type job but the office environment is very open and upper management is generally available to any issues you may have. I also enjoy it because after 1 year at this job you look back and have learned a ton. It is a great place to launch your career in sales.

Cons

The only issue is that sometimes it seems too much of a "what have you done lately". Often times struggling reps will have to crawl out of their rut alone. Also there is little information about where to send issues that clients may be having.

Set up a formalized program that employees know where to send client and CPA issues.

632 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

My experience at Paychex

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great initial training program, great way to get your foot in the payroll industry, relaxed management. no micromanagement. Variety of clients were fun to interact with and assist on a daily basis. You get to learn about all types of industries and how they do payroll, from restaurants, to factories, to hospitals, to government entities.

Cons

Supervisors don't know the job as well as they should. You are expected to be a tax advisor, legal advisor, HR advisor, IT advisor, and general grunt worker for the clients with zero extra compensation for the amount or quality of work that you perform. This is a great job for a lazy "just make it through the day" type employee. Anyone who goes above and beyond on a regular basis should look for satisfaction elswhere. It was hard to find a "win" on a daily basis or feel that you were making an important impact.

Local management was pretty good as long as you showed up and did your job. I feel that executive management did not have the employee's back. They put out inferior software and expected us to be professional apologizers when stuff broke down. Ideas definitely come top down at this company. It's very difficult for an employee to change or improve anything.

Great company, if you're in the right office

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

People, benefits, brand recognition and stable

Cons

Culture can be toxic depending on office you're in, SaaS product not market ready

Fix PNG!

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!