There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great support system, but very big workload.

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Training program is great. They invest a lot of money to send you to their headquarters, but I feel it could be taught more efficiently.
-My team in particular is a great support system, and always offer help when they have free time, which in this position, can mean a lot.
-My branch tries to make the environment as "stress free" as possible, with casual days and fun contests, bingo etc. Its nice to take your mind off of things for a minute.
-Benefit program is great

Cons

-Software is not great, it can cause errors and mistakes on things that you get yelled at for by clients

-Very overworked. I started with 240 clients the first day back. Most of my coworkers have upwards of 300+. They keep piling more on until you just do not have time for everyone. I feel this is how mistakes are made, and clients get frustrated because you cannot respond to them right away.

Overtime is not allowed. You must get all of your work done within your 8 hour day, and it just seems like you have such little time to accomplish anything. A typical day can consist of 40-65 payroll calls, let alone tax notices to research, employee maintenance, billing questions, etc. Oh, and walking clients through the online system.
-I just feel that we do multiple jobs all compiled into one, that we are not compensated nearly enough for.

Pay attention to hiring structure, and what your employees in the field are really needing. It is impossible to accommodate that many clients at once.

658 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Sales Training dream

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take you right out of undergrad and give you rigorous sales training. Sets you up for future success.

Cons

Rochester winters are brutal. Better hope your training isn't between November and March.

Move HQ to Arizona

Short but good

Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to grow and job security in an area with limited IT opportunities. Many people that i had worked with had been with Paychex for 10+ years and enjoyed being employed there. Good to work with people who didn't mind going to work.

Cons

Got the feeling that your growth within the company followed a strict ladder. First job i interviewed for out of college they required to sign a two year contract with that position. Ended up landing a better position 2 years later that took the person I was replacing 4 years to reach by working up the ladder.

was not there long enough to give this advice

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex