Enjoyable Work Environment... with Major Employee Retention Flaw

Former Employee - Risk Management Departments in Henrietta, NY
Former Employee - Risk Management Departments in Henrietta, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Great co-workers *Opportunity to grow within company, if you are willing to put in the time and bounce around departments *Excellent Training Program *Tuition Reimbursement and culture to push employees to use it - they will work with you on your hours and availability based on class schedule! *Excellent Benefits package (outside of pay) *Again, wonderful co-workers - cannot say that enough... they really made coming to work easy Even though I left because of the cons below, Paychex is still a good company to start your working career with. I would not have my current position without them. However, with that said - I might have stayed if they fixed some of the cons below:

Cons

*Outdated and clunky processes, systems and tools *Absent SLT with no downward flow/visibility of upcoming strategic plans and/or initiatives *Extremely low pay compared to industry standards *Direct management does not aid with career path and development plan within company *Stock grants, although a nice idea - are worthless as you can only cash in on the difference made in the stocks uptick *In a world where mobility is prevalent and required, Paychex still has desktop computing for a majority of their workforce - laptops would have been nice to aid in work-life-balance - especially during "Year End Mode" at Christmas and New Years

Advice to Management

Management should focus more on an employee retention program that looks at keeping talented employees within the company. The majority of the cons I listed above are driving factors as to why individuals use and see Paychex as a springboard into another career... Paychex looses a great deal of talented and hard working employees while they are young and hungry because they do not invest in them.

Other Employee Reviews for Paychex

1. Life at Paychex

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

excellent benefits, time off accruals, good work life balance

Cons

slow to adapt technology for employees and customers, departments often do not communicate timely

Advice to Management

create job paths, advancement or more merit increases

Paychex is a good place to work

Current Employee - IT Personell in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IT Personell in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reliable Hours Great co-workers Lots of career oppportunities Appreciate their employees Good benefits

Cons

Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance.