There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Wonderful experience in sales at Paychex

Former Employee - Core Sales Representative  in  Irving, TX
Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Definitely depends on the office, but in Irving (Dallas) the managers are hands down, amazing and very eager to help and truly want you to succeed. Plus, this office was a "mega branch" and produced 4-5 times as much as other branches, so I guess we got away with more :)
-Flexible schedule, its outside sales.
-Very friendly atmosphere, and peers that always help each other.
-Great way of life if you simply do your job and work hard. Three of the coworkers on my team were working Moms and made a VERY comfortable lifestyle. If you simply hit your goals you should bring in 60-80 OTE. If you go over and beyond to hit the annual sales incentive trip, you bring in much more (stress though is at an all time high, but its worth it)!
-Monthly celebrations when your team has a successful month
-Great, great benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k.
-Vacation is rolled over every year and adds up if its not used...woo hoo! I cashed all my vacay in when I left.
-Managers very lenient on PTO
-Paychex on your resume looks great

Cons

-If you have little to no sales experience you usually start out as a TRR (territory ready rep) and you split each sale with the designated rep for that territory. Getting half commission sucks, but after a year you learn all of the ropes and are very thankful for being promoted to manage your own territory.
-Sales is tough in itself, but I also believe some of your success depends on the territory you are given. After becoming a full rep I started out with a few zip codes around the city, and was also given an "expansion territory" an hour and a half south of my normal zip codes. This expansion territory, along with others, was very tough to grow. Only a few sales came out of it...so thankfully after 2 years Paychex accepted that the territories far away just weren't worth the time/money/energy to manage and stuck with the general metroplex zip codes to assign.
-Negatives. Negative sales suck SO bad. If you bring on a client and they do not process enough payrolls to be profitable to Paychex, you get negative commission. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can sweet talk the clients out of quitting early and changing their mind...BUT sometimes negatives cannot be avoided because of business partners splitting ways, other problems, etc and there is literally nothing you can do. Negatives only happen about 2-3 times a year, but no one ever wants them!
-The only other potential con are the partners you work with. You have partners for 401k, benefits and other "add-ons" to payroll to help you win a sale. Some partners are awesome and help you close the deal (which is the goal, duh!) and some partners just. are. not. great. people. They think their business is more important than yours and don't go out of their way to make the appointments you set, but yet they hound you to take them on lunches with your CPAs (CPAs are Paychex's biggest referral source, and only Core Sales gets to call on them) and then they "take over" the appointment if you let them. You can't let this happen, and must communicate with the partners that you do feel are overpowering and tell them straight-up what you want.

I loved my experience with Paychex, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I made a great life there, amazing friends, built my resume up so much...I only left because I was moving and would've had to start all over in sales in another office. BUT it would be so helpful if Paychex implemented residuals. Unparalleled customer service is something Paychex was founded upon, so why not reward us for keeping a client past 3 months? It's in our best interest to keep the clients because that's how I received many of my referrals, but it would be nice to get an extra incentive. Even just a small amount!

627 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Good place to work at

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Friendly employees and helpful people

Cons

I think the pay could be better

Potential, but afraid to pay for important resources - like people and technology.

Former Employee - Implementation Supervisor  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Implementation Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits - 401(k) + match, PTO (if you don't feel guilty about making your coworkers cover you and don't mind working double before and after said time off).

Training for your career after Paychex

Cons

Views employees as disposable. They hire you on for cheap, train the crap out of you. The incentive is that you have a 10% raise and an annual review for the standard 3%. After your first year you have very little opportunity for growth/development/advancement. They take advantage of the creative and ambitious by giving them "learning opportunities." These are of course just things of arbitrary nature to pacify and buy time. They admit to paying below market value and are strategically placing themselves in markets that have lower costs of living in order to overcome stagnate growth. Their philosophy on compensation isn't competitive and is the reason why they have an atrocious turnover rates year over year. They won't pay for talent that will keep them relevant.

Be open to change. Remember that everyone is an employee in the company, not just front-line people. MOST IMPORTANTLY - learn how to better manage talent. Stop focusing on the apple (wallstreet); begin seeing the orchard (people).

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!