Paychex

www.paychex.com
  www.paychex.com
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great place to learn and succeed!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was made to feel like I had worked there for years, even though I was only there for a temporary 6 week assignment. The other employees were very helpful and would even ask me questions. The management didn't stand over my shoulders, they trusted me to do my job and then thanked me for completing everything and offering to help my co-workers complete their assignments.

Cons

Would have liked to been hired on as a permanent employee but there were no openings.

690 Other Employee Reviews for Paychex (View Most Recent)

Very Positive Experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training, culture, and work environment is second to none. I grew professionally as a result of working for this company. Benefits are good, but probably standard given the size and scope of this organization.

Cons

You are able to advance in this company...to a point. Unfortunately after a relatively short period of time I felt like I was capped, both in upward mobility and compensation. They do not cap commissions for the sales reps, but there is a definite cap on how much productivity one can physically accomplish.

Individual development and personal growth are important, but so is compensation commensurate with experience and accomplishment.

Wonderful experience in sales at Paychex

Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Definitely depends on the office, but in Irving (Dallas) the managers are hands down, amazing and very eager to help and truly want you to succeed. Plus, this office was a "mega branch" and produced 4-5 times as much as other branches, so I guess we got away with more :)
    -Flexible schedule, its outside sales.
    -Very friendly atmosphere, and peers that always help each other.
    -Great way of life if you simply do your job and work hard. Three of the coworkers on my team were working Moms and made a VERY comfortable lifestyle. If you simply hit your goals you should bring in 60-80 OTE. If you go over and beyond to hit the annual sales incentive trip, you bring in much more (stress though is at an all time high, but its worth it)!
    -Monthly celebrations when your team has a successful month
    -Great, great benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k.
    -Vacation is rolled over every year and adds up if its not used...woo hoo! I cashed all my vacay in when I left.
    -Managers very lenient on PTO
    -Paychex on your resume looks great

Cons

-If you have little to no sales experience you usually start out as a TRR (territory ready rep) and you split each sale with the designated rep for that territory. Getting half commission sucks, but after a year you learn all of the ropes and are very thankful for being promoted to manage your own territory.
    -Sales is tough in itself, but I also believe some of your success depends on the territory you are given. After becoming a full rep I started out with a few zip codes around the city, and was also given an "expansion territory" an hour and a half south of my normal zip codes. This expansion territory, along with others, was very tough to grow. Only a few sales came out of it...so thankfully after 2 years Paychex accepted that the territories far away just weren't worth the time/money/energy to manage and stuck with the general metroplex zip codes to assign.
    -Negatives. Negative sales suck SO bad. If you bring on a client and they do not process enough payrolls to be profitable to Paychex, you get negative commission. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can sweet talk the clients out of quitting early and changing their mind...BUT sometimes negatives cannot be avoided because of business partners splitting ways, other problems, etc and there is literally nothing you can do. Negatives only happen about 2-3 times a year, but no one ever wants them!
    -The only other potential con are the partners you work with. You have partners for 401k, benefits and other "add-ons" to payroll to help you win a sale. Some partners are awesome and help you close the deal (which is the goal, duh!) and some partners just. are. not. great. people. They think their business is more important than yours and don't go out of their way to make the appointments you set, but yet they hound you to take them on lunches with your CPAs (CPAs are Paychex's biggest referral source, and only Core Sales gets to call on them) and then they "take over" the appointment if you let them. You can't let this happen, and must communicate with the partners that you do feel are overpowering and tell them straight-up what you want.

I loved my experience with Paychex, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I made a great life there, amazing friends, built my resume up so much...I only left because I was moving and would've had to start all over in sales in another office. BUT it would be so helpful if Paychex implemented residuals. Unparalleled customer service is something Paychex was founded upon, so why not reward us for keeping a client past 3 months? It's in our best interest to keep the clients because that's how I received many of my referrals, but it would be nice to get an extra incentive. Even just a small amount!

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex