Paycom

Amazing Culture and Compensation

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Uncapped earning potential and career growth opportunities, amazing product, great people! Can't imagine ever working anywhere else!

Cons

Have to be willing to put in the hard work to experience all the many benefits Paycom has to offer. The only people I know that aren't happy here are not applying themselves and thus not seeing the success that's inevitable with a positive attitude and hard work.

Be more open to change. Such a fast growing company sometimes we are focused so much on the sales and operations of our business that we neglect our own issues we could make better through embracing change and new ideas.

136 Other Employee Reviews for Paycom (View Most Recent)

Whoever says Paycom does not require ENDLESS work hours... they're lying

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, this is a company in which you can make GREAT money, especially as a recent college grad (as they tend to hire).

Unheard of starting base, with no experience (50k) and you make 10% of every sale you make. Also, additional bonuses for starting on time (2%).

They also give you car allowance (that is supposed to cover wear and tear, insurance, and gas) which I believe is $500/month.

Cell phone allowance= $25/month... really low, but they pay you so high elsewhere that this can be overseen.

$1 health insurance (with no dependents)

Again, the pros of working for this company is all monetary.

They're sales training is amazing! My core foundation of understanding sales and the sales process has been thanks to Paycom. This, is something that no one can take away from them.

When you first begin the position you have 2 weeks of non-stop training in the office (with your national training class via conference and WebEx meetings) They will focus more on product in those 2 weeks and some people have even gotten fired during this phase if they are not picking up the system quickly enough. They then they fly you out to corporate headquarters for another week of sales training. (to say we started out as about 16 people in my training class in 2012 and now there are only 2 who are still currently working there still... turn over is that bad. If you make it past your first year, you tend to be labeled as one of the rookies in your office).

Cons

Where to begin!!!!!

First of all, they hire recent college graduates because, frankly, they don't know any better. They sell you on all the money that you will be making, but rest assure there is NO work/life balance with this position.

I was not a rep who did not do well... on the contrary, I was the top rep in my office the entire time I was there. I clearly had the work ethic and drive, but there comes a point where you realize money is not everything. I was miserable and that misery affected my personal relationships with my friends, significant other, and family. To me, there is no career that is worth sacrificing all of those things.

As a sales rep, you are not only expected to sell, but also IMPLEMENT (meaning endless amounts of tax packets that you have deadlines in which you need to send to the Setup Team) but you are also expected to TRAIN and be on-hand to run their first payroll. Selling, is the easiest part, the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of your position will be doing this. I can safely say that I have stayed in the office till 10pm or with my clients, training and setting up, until that time. You are also expected to be in the office at 7:30am!

You can also sell a new business, but if you do not stick around to start it (run their first payroll with them), then you do not get your commission. The person who ultimately gets the commission is the one who is there to hit 'submit' for the first time. And if your client leaves within 6 months, they can take that commission away from you.

Also, while you are implementing and training, you are expected to still sell and set 7 NEW APPOINTMENTS every week out of a list of approximately 100-120 businesses they give you. You must call on these businesses TWICE a week... same people, same companies,same lines you try to give them all the time. So you can imagine, with time, appointments lessen.

The reason they are able to pay those 50k base is because you essentially are doing about 3 peoples jobs.

Their Time off policies are also terrible:
    5 vacation
    5 sick

They also have blackout months, which you cannot request any time off whatsoever. And even though they only give you a measly 5 vacation days, it is still frowned upon to take all of your time off. You would think with how much they overworked you, they would give you more time to destress.

Paycom Response

Sep 16, 2014Representative

While we appreciate your review it is disheartening to hear you feel so negatively in regards to career that you pointed out has many amazing perks including pay and training. We strive for a ... More

New experience every day!

Current Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Client Relations Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paycom is a growing company and there is a lot of room for upward mobility for all Paycom employees, regardless of role. There is a great culture where managers and supervisors really encourage their employees to shine. I feel professionally challenged every day; I can safely say no two days are alike, but that's a great thing. I am constantly on my toes and am viewed as a valuable resource by my clients and colleagues alike.

Cons

I would say the only thing I would change specifically about working for Paycom is I do wish the vacation policy allowed for some more time off.

Advice to management is to keep it up! Paycom treats the employees really well and truly listens to them for feedback, which is fantastic.

There are newer employer reviews for Paycom

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!