Fun and fast paced

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

*Advancement is easy/fast
*Small store teams creates a "family-like" environment
*Lots of change, all the time

Cons

*no accountability for dishonest results
*High pressure to achieve results
*Often single covered and must be able to balance task and service
*PT/ers often get a large fluctuation of weekly hours
*pay is not competitive
*dress code is strict

Take a pay cut or give up a bonus or two...invest that money into more payroll to allow 1 tasker and 1 SMILES person at all times at all locations. If you TRULY believed that SMILES made that big of a difference in sales, you would have no problem giving up ur bonus for the potential sales increase.

Dont be so arrogant to believe that associates dont call in their own surveys, falsify coupons, and mark down product to meet your crazy standards

Other Reviews for Payless ShoeSource

I regret this soooo much!!!

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

-Great discounts
    -Can R/O and usually get it off
    -Some of the coworkers are nice

Cons

How do i start????
    -The manager is very rude towards me and the associates.
    -The hours can be as low as 4hours in a week and as high as 32. I honestly want a normal range wither I don't have enough money to survive the week or have no life!
    -They make you do many things and expect it to be done in a short amount of time!
    - Paid 8.25 to open shipments, top stock, clean/run shoes, handle the base fund, set up the bank deposits, straighten shoes, making sure every shoe is represented and accourse customer service.
    -Manager favors associates with children like come on I need a kid to get a lot of hours????
    - computer ALWAYS freezes!!!
    -Sometimes you can't time out....
    -I honestly thought i would do customer service shipements and cashier handling nothing more. HAHA...crap lol

PLEASE i am begging you have your manager treat us associates right! I would appreciate it!

I wanted to crash my car driving to work everyday.

Current Employee - Ast Manager Without the Title Or Pay  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Ast Manager Without the Title Or Pay in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

The only Pros I can think of are Flexible Hours and a Half Decent Discount considering how much the company ACTUALLY pays for these Items.

Cons

Lets get started.
    Pay is unbelievable feels like a sweat shop, you work your tail off trying to keep up to the ridiculous standards they set.

Im sorry but i thought payless was a self serve store (why all the shoes clearly displayed) 90% of the time the customers completely ignore you even though you are speaking 1 foot away from them and looking directly at them. The result of these customers ignoring you BAD CSATS! They don't listen to you greet them, tell the promo, offer sizing or opinion. That's your fault YOU should make them listen When the MAIN reason they ignoring you is because THEY KNOW your going to Harass them when they just want to look and shop without you trailing behind. Its stressful and embarrassing.

Customers are rude and nasty, They treat you like you are complete dirt. Snapping at you insulting you and are and absolute mess throwing shoes and accessories all over the store as they watch you trying to clean up aisles. NEEDY NEEDY NEEDY they ask about everything especially whats clearly marked. MY FAVORITE: GIVE ME_________. Or get your stick and HELP ME how about I was yelling at you from the back of the store What are you deaf?(even though you where at the register clearly helping multiple customers)(NO PLEASE OR THANK YOU) Your self confidence slowly drains. You feel unhuman after a while. All anyone higher in management has to say is GIDDY UP AND GET MOVING. No help No advice to deal with nasty customers. You must have done something never the customer. Oh and if something does happen with a customer being disrespectful and harassing you, Don't ever try to call security because the sec it gets back to corp it's your butt on the line. "They are paying Customers, That's whats important it doesn't matter what they did." A real quote. Your a replaceable object in the eyes of this company. Nothing more you make minimum wedge. They can replace you with someone new no problem. Doesn't matter the hard work and years you put in.

NO RETURN POLICY.
    RETURNS COUNT AGAINST YOU.
    You must return ANYTHING it doesn't matter if:
    It was worn for a year
    It doesn't have a receipt
    it was clearly stolen
    it 400 dollars worth of brand new beauty with no receipt or bag.
    or they walked in still wearing them.
    RETURN IT.
    and if you have too many returns at the end of the week and if those returns you had no choice in doing effected your numbers which they will you require coaching and even disciplinary actions such as verbal conferences about how you need to work harder. WHAT A JOKE

you are also asked to preform tasks that are beyond your sales position.
    Breaking down shipment
    Time Sheets.
    calculating numbers and doing paperwork.
    going to the bank(using your own gas)with no compensation.
    and tons more. Things that management should be doing.
    including conference calls for management.
    I did Everything the manager would.
    With 1/8 the PAY.
    2 years NO RAISE.

If sales where bad that day you where required to pick the person you thought was the "weak link' and have them call the District leader and Explain why the store was doing poorly and your not working effectively enough. You where bullied and never had any positive feedback everything was wrong and if it wasn't it was simply not acknowledged. This company completely drains you and all they are worried about is the satisfaction of the customer. Depression and low self worth is what i gained from this company. I worked hard stayed late came early working 12 hour shifts covering for people who simply couldn't make it and i got nothing in return but disrespect. your promised to move up in the company and get nothing. they keep you hanging on thinking there gonna FINALLY give you some of what you work hard for. I had transferred to a store 2 cities away having been told and promised a raise this was over 8 months ago and Nothing. I hate going into work everyday.

Due to the previous circumstances and MANY MANY others I will no longer be working for this company and will discourage anyone to work for this company also. If i could have giving a Negative rating I would. I have known many people who worked for payless all warning me to not work here I should have listened.

We employees are people too and when we are off the clock we are customers and deserve to be treated like the valuable assets we are. This company looses wonderful workers all the time and that should a priority too. Making employees Happy along with the Customers. Once we are no longer employees we are no longer customers and sense this company works for customer satisfaction we CUSTOMERS are not satisfied. Coach someone on that. Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource.

Worked for Payless ShoeSource? Contribute to the Community!