There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Good place to hone your skills, but not much room for advancement...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Topeka, KS
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic, vibrant atmosphere
Good people with whom to work, often willing to even come together outside of their stated role for the benefit of the company
Often challenged by others to think outside the box

Cons

Many positions very specialized, thus no room for advancement (unless superior leaves/advances)
The city in which it is based (Topeka, KS)

Encourage those who perform well to continue do so through strong rewards via compensation and advancement

521 Other Employee Reviews for Payless ShoeSource (View Most Recent)

There are lots of other places to work - Choose this one, only as your last resort

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30% percent off and once a month 50% off one pair of shoes.

Cons

WIG, Conversion, Online Orders, very tight payroll, most managers can't afford to schedule themselves more then 35 hours a week, just because for single coverage stores it is impossible to cut payroll and keep your numbers up. The Company cares about payroll first, and then everything else. However if you do not schedule sufficient floor coverage, you run the risk of getting bad surveys called in. Once that happens you will be in-trouble for not helping your customers the right way, and nothing will be mentioned about staying within payroll. But If you blow your payroll to keep customers happy and your store looking great, you will be in trouble for spending too much on payroll. Also be prepared to answer the question, "are you the only one here"? As you are trying your best to keep your mood up, while ringing up a line of customers, not to mention that there are 5 more down the isles waiting to be helped. No extra payroll to bring on new associates, translating to new associates don't get properly trained and thrown in to the mix of everything too quickly. Leading to bad surveys, upt, crm, conversion, and overall sales.

A great attitude can go a long way. There are too many thing to measure within the time given. Either add more time to get the task done, or take away some task.

Only a month of employment, and I dread it every day I come in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Decent associate discount
    Opportunity to build relationships with customers (I had to force that 'pro')
    Benefits

Cons

This place sucks. Four hours feels like eight.
    I feel like everyday I have to rush around to complete this or that and talk to almost every customer when I'm a SMILES leader. It's too much of a stressful job for such little pay.
    Breaking down shipment/tagging/racking is a huge task and a huge bore.
    You have to clean the store (vacuum, clean mirrors, etc.) at the end of a long day.
    Racking the shoes is an over-complicated process. And topstock gets piled so high it's hazardous and a huge chore to stack/sort the shoes and get the shoe you need.
    I hate having to harrass customers about joining Payless Rewards, measuring their kids feet, trying to convince them to buy accessories, etc.
    Also you have to deal with WAY too much attitude from customers; the customers also disrespect the store making huge messes (and often not even buying anything) and stand on stools helping themselves to the topstock (often causing things to fall to the floor, then get angry when an associate tells them not to do that)
    You have to follow a list of "critical actions" and at most stand-alone stores you have to complete at least like 4 per customer(things like suggest an item, validate with compliment, collect personal info, etc.). The customers see it coming and often try to avoid associates.
    If your sales/returns don't reflect well on the company you get lectured (even though it's not exactly your fault no one wants to buy the same styles year in and year out and same overpriced crappy jewelry, and people return the stupid defective shoes)
    It's all your fault if someone steals (even though both of the stores I work in have poor security i.e no working cameras, no security tags)
    Often when I'm off I get called to see if I can work.
    The management is always breathing down my neck as if I'm an inmate they have to keep a close eye on.
    If you wanted to make a career out of this it would be a dead end.
    DO NOT WORK HERE EVER. Unless you're a manager because all they do is sit in the back and play on their phones. It's ridiculous. They lecture you on selling more (as if you're getting paid commission) and they don't sell much themselves.

Relax the responsibilites of Sales Associates, and maybe create another position for shipment
    Also we need signs that tell customers to NOT climb on stools/help themselves to the topstock
    Require the managers to be out on the floor more and actually contribute to sales.

There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Worked for Payless ShoeSource? Contribute to the Community!