There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Good place to hone your skills, but not much room for advancement...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic, vibrant atmosphere
Good people with whom to work, often willing to even come together outside of their stated role for the benefit of the company
Often challenged by others to think outside the box

Cons

Many positions very specialized, thus no room for advancement (unless superior leaves/advances)
The city in which it is based (Topeka, KS)

Advice to Management

Encourage those who perform well to continue do so through strong rewards via compensation and advancement

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Payless doesn't hire White Males

Current Employee - Associate in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After receiving a lot of tax brakes for building in a predominantly White area Payless, the Eastern Distribution Center in tends to not hire White Males.

Cons

At least we can vote with our wallets and dry up hateful influences so as to prevent my family from having to put up with theirs.

Advice to Management

There won't be a need for managers with cooperation.

2. Only a month of employment, and I dread it every day I come in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Decent associate discount
    Opportunity to build relationships with customers (I had to force that 'pro')
    Benefits

Cons

This place sucks. Four hours feels like eight.
    I feel like everyday I have to rush around to complete this or that and talk to almost every customer when I'm a SMILES leader. It's too much of a stressful job for such little pay.
    Breaking down shipment/tagging/racking is a huge task and a huge bore.
    You have to clean the store (vacuum, clean mirrors, etc.) at the end of a long day.
    Racking the shoes is an over-complicated process. And topstock gets piled so high it's hazardous and a huge chore to stack/sort the shoes and get the shoe you need.
    I hate having to harrass customers about joining Payless Rewards, measuring their kids feet, trying to convince them to buy accessories, etc.
    Also you have to deal with WAY too much attitude from customers; the customers also disrespect the store making huge messes (and often not even buying anything) and stand on stools helping themselves to the topstock (often causing things to fall to the floor, then get angry when an associate tells them not to do that)
    You have to follow a list of "critical actions" and at most stand-alone stores you have to complete at least like 4 per customer(things like suggest an item, validate with compliment, collect personal info, etc.). The customers see it coming and often try to avoid associates.
    If your sales/returns don't reflect well on the company you get lectured (even though it's not exactly your fault no one wants to buy the same styles year in and year out and same overpriced crappy jewelry, and people return the stupid defective shoes)
    It's all your fault if someone steals (even though both of the stores I work in have poor security i.e no working cameras, no security tags)
    Often when I'm off I get called to see if I can work.
    The management is always breathing down my neck as if I'm an inmate they have to keep a close eye on.
    If you wanted to make a career out of this it would be a dead end.
    DO NOT WORK HERE EVER. Unless you're a manager because all they do is sit in the back and play on their phones. It's ridiculous. They lecture you on selling more (as if you're getting paid commission) and they don't sell much themselves.

Advice to Management

Relax the responsibilites of Sales Associates, and maybe create another position for shipment
    Also we need signs that tell customers to NOT climb on stools/help themselves to the topstock
    Require the managers to be out on the floor more and actually contribute to sales.