Payless ShoeSource

There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Decent High School Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Usually flexible hours
Great co-workers
Discounts can be good
Location was pretty good, always had work available

Cons

Manager was crazy
Low wage, no commission
Pushy sales tactics
Manager had issues with staffing

Stop micromanaging so much and hiring your friends.

614 Other Employee Reviews for Payless ShoeSource (View Most Recent)

Good starter job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Good place to start if you have no retail experience. Discounts are nice and benefits offered for part time employees

Cons

Pay is really low considering the amount of work you have to do. My store had no cameras or sensors so if we got robbed it was the associates fault. I was trained more by other associates than the manager, and they were also trained by associates so a lot of times we didn't know the proper method for doing things. Expected to do a long list of tasks by the end of the day as well as help customers all while there's only 2 people working. The turnover is ridiculous so a lot of associates are fast tracked into being key holders and don't even really know what they're doing cause they haven't been trained. They tell you there's room for advancement but if you try to talk to someone about a promotion they give you the run around until you give up. They're really cheap not wanting to give associates a raise after a year like they say they would. Almost all of the people that quit during the time I was there quit because they were being asked to do manager duties but weren't given the title or even a small raise. This isn't a job to get if you have bills to pay. You could go from 32 hours to 15 without notice.

Work on training new associates better instead of making other associates that weren't properly trained either do it.

Over worked, underpaid and under appreciated

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good discount on shoes, benefits were good to include health and life insurance. Long term disability was real good value, and 401k vesting and contributions was good.

Cons

Weak senior management threatened instead of lead. Terribly understaffed which left manager alone in store hours on end to do the work of at least two people if store traffic was slow

Staff stores properly for specific goals IE: customer journey. De-emphasize "smiles" survey.

There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource