Decent High School Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Appleton, WI

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually flexible hours
Great co-workers
Discounts can be good
Location was pretty good, always had work available

Cons

Manager was crazy
Low wage, no commission
Pushy sales tactics
Manager had issues with staffing

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging so much and hiring your friends.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good starter job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Good place to start if you have no retail experience. Discounts are nice and benefits offered for part time employees

Cons

Pay is really low considering the amount of work you have to do. My store had no cameras or sensors so if we got robbed it was the associates fault. I was trained more by other associates than the manager, and they were also trained by associates so a lot of times we didn't know the proper method for doing things. Expected to do a long list of tasks by the end of the day as well as help customers all while there's only 2 people working. The turnover is ridiculous so a lot of associates are fast tracked into being key holders and don't even really know what they're doing cause they haven't been trained. They tell you there's room for advancement but if you try to talk to someone about a promotion they give you the run around until you give up. They're really cheap not wanting to give associates a raise after a year like they say they would. Almost all of the people that quit during the time I was there quit because they were being asked to do manager duties but weren't given the title or even a small raise. This isn't a job to get if you have bills to pay. You could go from 32 hours to 15 without notice.

Advice to Management

Work on training new associates better instead of making other associates that weren't properly trained either do it.

2. Please look some where else first.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A 30% off all regular and clearance items. Also a 50% off once a month. Tuition reimbursement. Good medical coverage for full timers.

Cons

If you have children and value weekend time don't work for Payless. Managers, well at least mine, take every weekend off so you are scheduled. I understand the need to work weekends but 8-10 in a row when the store manager has 6-8 off is ridiculous. District managers don't watch the store leaders closely enough. Mine works off the clock and adjusts everydays time sheet (illegal here in California). Brought it to his attention and nothing changed. I gave up. They work you way to hard for so little. After 6 years and being both an assistant and a store leader I can honestly say Payless is a last resort company.

To focused on stuff we don't have control of. The goals are sometimes ridiculous. You are in charge of customers but given an hour to de paper, sensor, sale tag it and put into racks. But have a 40% conversion rate a 3 items per every sale and 100% phone #, email and address capture rate. All while by yourself. While picking up the shoes that the customers leave all over the floor.

Advice to Management

Watch your leaders better. Find out if they treat the staff well. If a store has a high turn over rate question it. Stop being cheap give the stores payroll. Payless we don't need stores in other countries when the stores you have now are lacking.