There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Okay place to work for part-time

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% employee discount, once a month 50% employee discount. Can easily switch shifts with anyone willing. No intelligence required to work this job (seriously, all you're doing is extremely menial tasks such as restocking, opening boxes of shipment, putting in security sensors). Working the cashier requires a bit more intelligence as you will sometimes have customers try to take advantage of sales and prices and think they can get away with putting a more pricey pair of shoes into a box that's tagged for a cheaper price.

Cons

Customers can make huge messes and give you attitude when you ask them nicely to CLEAN UP THEIR OWN MESS. They also walk in expecting you to do them a personal favor and give them all the shoes for ridiculously cheap prices. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers ask me if its buy-one get one half off (they seem to think that's a year round promotion when its not). Schedules are never consistent, you get a new one each week, so it makes it extremely hard to plan things you want to do in your personal life, as you won't know what days/times you'll be working until the end of the week. If you're a hard worker you will definitely be picking up other people's slack because some of the workers can be quite lazy, including management. But hey, its an easy job so I can't complain too much.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good job if you enjoy keeping busy and being pressured by sales goals (depending on location)

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount: 50% off for one item once a month
    30% off any all the time
    Flexible hours depending on manager

Cons

Depending on the District manager, you might get daily phone calls asking WHERE you at with sales, WHY you are there, and WHAT are you going to do about it. You always have to be suggesting socks, handbags which is fine but you can see customers getting annoyed especially the regulars who tell you off after.

Decent experience for a Resume, horrible in any other way.

Former Employee - Key Carrier
    Former Employee - Key Carrier

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, its a very small group of people who work in each store. That makes getting days off, or opens really easy. The discount is pretty generous also, but more if you're a Female over a male. 50% off once a month and 30% any other time. They are open most mall hours which is a benefit if you are not in a mall store. Closed no later than 9p 6 days a week, and by 6p on Sundays.

Cons

Ugh, where to start? Lets start with the obvious, the pay is horrible (minimum), the hours are rare. No more than 30 for Part time workers, even if you want to work it and they have the hours to give.

One bad seed can ruin the whole bunch in this time of business. And since they have a huge problem hiring(and keeping) associates, they never fire. So, someone can be a horrible person, worker and still get away with it, because the management is afraid to lose a body.

They are a pretty sexist company. The dress code, the discount, even their promotions. They mostly sell to women, so they definitely value their Female employees more (which is why you will hardly see Males working there)

SMILES! - where the hell do I begin with the Smiles program? The customers hate it, they want to shop on their own, they don't want to be bugged. I don't know how many times a week I was told "please let me shop" but, anytime we tried to relay this to the higher ups it fell on deaf ears.

CRM- Again, just like SMILES not ever person who walks through your door wants to give you their phone number, address and email. QUIT pressuring and threatening your employees with this. It makes for a toxic environment. The more you freak out on us about it, the less we begin to care.

Advice to Management

Stop being so serious about the SMILES program. This may work in the South and areas where people are friendlier. But, it doesn't work in Cities, and the north. The customers don't like to be pressured and you don't pay your employees enough or give a good enough incentive for us to care! You are in the RED in your books because of your failing methods, rising prices and antique sales and promotions.