Retail Marketing strategy

Current Employee - Intern  in  Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

People are very nice. their biz model works really well. Fast moving since it is fashion forward. My boss is very smart and nice.

Cons

Since the products are cheap. The margin is not very high. The job would not be very luxury. Companies tried to cut cost...

Need to motivate more innovation and creativeness. Need to bring in more young people and create energy for the company to move faster like fashion forward

Other Reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Not a bad company to work for...If you have the right leader.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

Amount of vacation,personal,and sick hours given. Discount on purchases, and being able to interact with customers and creating a great shopping experience for them!

Cons

Not getting the help and support needed to use above mentioned pros. Mgr. being constantly taken out of Business to support DM demands of conference calls. (CSAT accountability calls, safety-step capt. calls, shrink Dr. calls, mgr. monday conference call or meeting @local store. and if you have beauty thats a conference call too.) Then mgr, has to match red line blue lines to make schedule which can take a long time, review smiles book, study guides, and collect Safety-step accounts while out having meals with friends and family. If all these conference calls/meetings need to take place then payroll should be given to ensure our customers can be taken care of in the store! Everyone is always being threatened to be written up if missed conference calls, or not collecting enough customer information. ( Alot of people don't want to share their phone or address!) Beware if your english is broken, you will be asked and humiliated in front of others "Can we please speak english?"

Start thinking about what we have to do to on a daily basis to run our business, and gives us our payroll and time to take care of it. (stop stealing it from us with conf. calls/meetings) Stop behaving like we are incompetent idiots, and let us take care of our customers! Insults and negative comments on your behalf does not make want to work any harder! We work hard because we love working for the company and serving our customers! Your working us harder to make yourself look good and don't care how you treat us because in your eyes we are below you and are all replaceable. Hows that working for you? Considering everyone is short staff due to your threats and your abuse of power.

HATED IT!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

Employee discount was reasonable--50% off a pair of cheap shoes once a month & 30% all the other cheap shoes. Work here only if you LOVE their shoes, shop here a lot, and would like discounts on them. Co-workers were fun to work and talk with, though I think co-workers would be the best part of any job really. The hours were extremely flexible-- I just tell my manager the days I won't be able to work or if I know I have something planned & tell her a week ahead.

Cons

TOO MANY THINGS! The company expects too much from every one of their associates with too little pay! This is what a sales associate is expected to do everyday: greet every single customer that comes through the door, then say the day's promotion. For e.g., "everything in the store today is buy one get one half off the lower or equal value" And that is a heck lot to say to every single customer. Then, if you're on the floor, you have to harass every single customer to buy shoes. you're supposed to first ask them what their size is, bring them there, then ask them what they're looking for today. This is hard as most customers would say, "just looking" as soon as you ask them anything. But you can't just go, you have to continue bothering the heck outta them! You have to observe what they may like, then take out two pairs of shoes or more and place them directly on their hands. Afterward, you have to suggest accessories. You have to bring something from the accessory section, and again, hand it to them, lying while saying "this goes well with your shoes. You'll look great with it!" or whatever BS you have. Let me remind you that you have to do this to EVERY customer so if you have 5 customers shopping at the same time, you have to be quick and provide this "excellent customer service" to all of them. During your "free time" which no body will have, you have to straighten out the shoes that are being basically turned upside down from cheap customers. You also have to use the long sticks they have & take shoes from the top to fill in holes, which are often very heavy, can fall on your head, and take a long time. I swear they want us to be superhuman or something.

If you work on the register, it seems better than working at the floor at first, but eventually it gets worse. Since I work at a pretty busy store, the customer line for check out seems to never end. To every customer, I first have to force a smile and say "did you find everything alright?" then ask for their phone number! Most people don't like giving it out because it's understandable, I wouldn't want telemarketers calling me either. But you have to harass them to get it b/c you have to get 90% of all the customer's phone #s , which is called the CRM. Then you have to ask them to give you their address and email.. like seriously? All this isn't necessary to buy a pair of shoes! You have to say all this junk like you'll send them a 20% coupon if you give your address and 15% if you give your email to us. Then you have to take out the security tags and then harass them to buy shoe care products! So say they are buying suede boots, you have to think of something quickly , for example, say "would you like to buy a suede cleaner to clean your suede boots? its only $5." Not only is the customer you are checking out extremely annoyed with you at the moment, but so are the other customers in the line. Because of all this harassing, it takes a pretty long time to check out one customer , so the line gets extremely long. But here's this: other associates cannot give you help unless there are 5+ customers! The people on register has a lot of responsibility because they have to keep the CRM up, 90% or more. then get at least 50% addresses, 20% emails. The daily conversions , like a customer to item has to be about 21 (varies depending on your store volume), UPT which is units per transaction. Each customer has to buy two or more items per day, so at the end of the day you have to get 2% or more. You also have a sales goal to reach for each day, bigger stores ~$6000/day.
    All these daily goals are big deals because if you can't reach the 2% UPTs, 90% CRM, etc. you get yelled at A LOT during the group conference calls. You have to have EVERYTHING good.. not just CRMs, but UPTs etc as well. At store meetings, the manager prints out the progress of every cashier. The list will tell you if you "hurt" the store or "helped" the store, which is extremely embarrassing.

It's really hot during the summer and cold during the winter. Not only is the store cheap, the manager is cheap as well! The AC was never on during the summer, which made the store seem even hotter than outside. In the winter, there's no heat. ALSO, this started in Sept, but all employees that have a lunch break (work 5+ hours) need to take an HOUR UNPAID BREAK so the cheap company can "save on payroll". this is required! And this is stupid because it takes forever for every associate to take turns to go on break & all the covering up for another associate while they are on break is a mess. All this work , and all you get paid is minimum wage! after 60 days, you get like a 15 cent raise, but that's it. My foot is extremely sore at the end of each day.

*P.S. some things might just be different for other stores, but you guys get it--It's just a terrible place to work.

stop treating your associates like crap & reward them more for their hard work. give out raises more often. Also, please stop being so cheap. You can save on anything else, but saving on employees' payroll??? c'mon now. Oh yeah, and no one wants to harass others to buy cheap shoes...

There are newer employer reviews for Payless ShoeSource.

Worked for Payless ShoeSource? Contribute to the Community!