There are newer employer reviews for Paylocity

Many work opportunities, great work especially in the Software Development department

Current Employee - Software Architect in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
Current Employee - Software Architect in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity

Pros

I like working at Paylocity because of so many opportunities to make an impact and help the organization accomplish more things. In many ways there is a startup feel to the company that is contagious. The company is driven because of being a much smaller company than other major payroll competitors. The growth is going very well, year over year.

The compensation in my experience has been very good and the benefits have been too. Lately the company has been providing a lot of company-wide lunches. It is very easy to find pizza or leftover catered food in the kitchens on most days. They do try to do special events during year end (the busiest time for most of the payroll people) and this has been nice. They try to have a Weight Watchers at Work time and other programs as well.

A good number of the employees are completely remote and developers do get to work from home 2 days a week. During big releases everyone works in the office but this is usually just for a few weeks. Casual dress for development employees.

Cons

Recruiting seems to be struggling. I think the company needs to invest real money to get better candidates. Turnover seems to be moderate but I do worry it will grow as the economy improves.

I think employee morale at least in the development department is low. There is not enough training happening in the department and people's skills atrophy. The company should pay for more people to go to professional conferences or at least online subscriptions for training purposes.

The company has grown a lot over the past couple of years and there are definitely growing pains that show up from time to time. Sometimes the management is thinking very short-term rather than creating policies and sticking to them. Occasionally I sigh and remind myself that the company is still growing up. Some upper management are deeply involved in low-level technical decisions which can be good and bad. The company needs more big picture people.

One area that could be improved is the feedback mechanisms. Feedback for employees is based on a recognition program but it lacks purpose. The recognition does not have any real sense of accomplishment. There are 360 type evaluations but I still think the feedback is not structured outside of the 360 evaluations.

Thanks for the quarterly meetings, I hope these stay personal. I like the holiday parties from the last 2 years but I think you should really invite spouses and families to this. Also, take the company to a better venue, the lobby of the building is being really cheap.

Keep your originality and creativeness but take on the bigger picture and build unity in each department with department-wide meetings. When everyone has a better vision of their part of the team I think we could be stronger together. Some people feel like just cogs of the machine but we could have a much better team experience and work better together.

We need to be thinking like a larger company and be getting over some of our growing pains. Things like recruiting that are not working well need to take a whole new approach. We also desparately need some streamlining of processes and better issue/process management tools. So overall we need to optimize our efficiencies and get past some of our weaker ways of doing things that have just continued for so many years.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Paylocity (View Most Recent)

A robust and rapidly expanding company. Great opportunities if you can handle the heat.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity

Pros

-The company is essentially half payroll company, half software company. On the one side, you get the peaks and valleys nature of the payroll business. On the other hand, the environment is real laid back and you are not micro-managed as long as you are sufficiently getting your work done.

-There is much room for professional growth and many skills to be learned if you have the drive

-Game room in the building

Cons

-Cross-department communication can be very frustrating as the company works through its growing pains

-Some might prefer a more professional atmosphere

-Anybody who has worked at a payroll company knows year-end is hell. Expect to work like a dog from November - February

Employee recognition employee recognition. We need more!

Very happy to be here at Paylocity!!!

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - Freedom - Growing company - Management responsive to suggestions & ideas provided by the staff - Opporunities for career advancement - Some positions allow you to work from home. Casual, laid back managerial style. No Micro-managing (unless necessary).

Cons

Work load at year end (due to incredible growth - normal for the industry) - Interdepartment communication needs improvement.

Continue the excellent job and working to improve our work experience. It is much appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Paylocity