It has been a pleasure to work here.

Current Employee - Tech Support Specialist  in  Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
Current Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual dress code, co-workers that are willing to assist and teach one another.

Cons

There is a lack of emphasis in intra-office communication, particularly between departments. If there were more of an emphasis on critical thinking skills and focus on internal communication, it would increase overall productivity and employee satisfaction.

Other Reviews for Paylocity

Great Payroll Software

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment - no shirt & tie!

Cons

Very little support once training is completed.

Transfer some Chicago management to the Lake Mary office. The culture in Florida is lacking what appears to be at headquarters.

Many work opportunities, great work especially in the Software Development department

Current Employee - Software Architect  in  Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity

Pros

I like working at Paylocity because of so many opportunities to make an impact and help the organization accomplish more things. In many ways there is a startup feel to the company that is contagious. The company is driven because of being a much smaller company than other major payroll competitors. The growth is going very well, year over year.

The compensation in my experience has been very good and the benefits have been too. Lately the company has been providing a lot of company-wide lunches. It is very easy to find pizza or leftover catered food in the kitchens on most days. They do try to do special events during year end (the busiest time for most of the payroll people) and this has been nice. They try to have a Weight Watchers at Work time and other programs as well.

A good number of the employees are completely remote and developers do get to work from home 2 days a week. During big releases everyone works in the office but this is usually just for a few weeks. Casual dress for development employees.

Cons

Recruiting seems to be struggling. I think the company needs to invest real money to get better candidates. Turnover seems to be moderate but I do worry it will grow as the economy improves.

I think employee morale at least in the development department is low. There is not enough training happening in the department and people's skills atrophy. The company should pay for more people to go to professional conferences or at least online subscriptions for training purposes.

The company has grown a lot over the past couple of years and there are definitely growing pains that show up from time to time. Sometimes the management is thinking very short-term rather than creating policies and sticking to them. Occasionally I sigh and remind myself that the company is still growing up. Some upper management are deeply involved in low-level technical decisions which can be good and bad. The company needs more big picture people.

One area that could be improved is the feedback mechanisms. Feedback for employees is based on a recognition program but it lacks purpose. The recognition does not have any real sense of accomplishment. There are 360 type evaluations but I still think the feedback is not structured outside of the 360 evaluations.

Thanks for the quarterly meetings, I hope these stay personal. I like the holiday parties from the last 2 years but I think you should really invite spouses and families to this. Also, take the company to a better venue, the lobby of the building is being really cheap.

Keep your originality and creativeness but take on the bigger picture and build unity in each department with department-wide meetings. When everyone has a better vision of their part of the team I think we could be stronger together. Some people feel like just cogs of the machine but we could have a much better team experience and work better together.

We need to be thinking like a larger company and be getting over some of our growing pains. Things like recruiting that are not working well need to take a whole new approach. We also desparately need some streamlining of processes and better issue/process management tools. So overall we need to optimize our efficiencies and get past some of our weaker ways of doing things that have just continued for so many years.

There are newer employer reviews for Paylocity.

Worked for Paylocity? Contribute to the Community!