Peace Corps

Loving Peace Corps

Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Everyone knows the mission (support the Volunteers) and the three goals of Peace Corps and they aren't plastered on the walls. Little red tape (for government), freedom to do your job and make changes to improve it, a team feeling, a great place to work in terms of people, very warm, truly one of the 10 best places to work in DC as it was rated by Washingtonian Magazine. Never heard anyone say "that's not the way we do it here". An openness to new ideas, new technology, and new ways of doing things throughout Peace Corps. You can have as big an impact as you want.

Cons

The five year rule. Every employee gets a two and a half year tour and if you do a good job, you can get a second tour which takes you to five years and then everyone leaves. It makes institutional memory weak but it is also one of the things that keep people focused on what they want to accomplish before they leave Peace Corps.
A lot of turnover due to the five year rule means that you're always meeting new people and saying good bye to colleagues.
We just went through a budget cut but it was realtively easy and not ugly.

None.

424 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

A great job and wonderful experience as long as you can tolerate an inadequate, overworked, blame driven support staff.

Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

To live in another country, help underdeveloped communities, and experience the world in ways we could never in America.

Cons

Management skills are wanting and support is almost non existent in Morocco. Hopefully, this is not the case in other countries.

Give us an opportunity to do our jobs, do not micro manage, and listen to us. We are the ones in the field, we have valid perspectives that are in most cases more pertinent than your theory in Rabat. Furthermore, we were chosen by Washington to do this job because we are talented intelligent capable people. Please stop treating us like we are 5 years old.

Supporting a mission that is second to none gets makes you want to come to work every day.

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The mission of the Peace Corps is first rate. Supporting the work of the Peace Corps Volunteers around the world is truly an honor and a worthwhile reason to come to work every day. Like any Federal job, there are issues that come with it but this is largely avoided compared to other organizations since tenure is limited to 5 years. Institutional knowledge and employee development could be better, but efforts are made in these areas. Don't expect to make a lifelong career here, or to advanced to high positions quickly. The organization will continue to evolve and should adapt over the next few years to bring itself firmly into the 21st century.

Cons

Career advancement is limited; tenure is limited by law to 5 years. Employment development and training opportunities are also limited. The organization is bottom heavy and top management jobs are limited and difficult to obtain.

Need to get a better understanding of issues on an operational level.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps