Peace Corps
www.peacecorps.gov Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Loving Peace Corps

Chief (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsEveryone knows the mission (support the Volunteers) and the three goals of Peace Corps and they aren't plastered on the walls. Little red tape (for government), freedom to do your job and make changes to improve it, a team feeling, a great place to work in terms of people, very warm, truly one of the 10 best places to work in DC as it was rated by Washingtonian Magazine. Never heard anyone say "that's not the way we do it here". An openness to new ideas, new technology, and new ways of doing things throughout Peace Corps. You can have as big an impact as you want.

ConsThe five year rule. Every employee gets a two and a half year tour and if you do a good job, you can get a second tour which takes you to five years and then everyone leaves. It makes institutional memory weak but it is also one of the things that keep people focused on what they want to accomplish before they leave Peace Corps.
A lot of turnover due to the five year rule means that you're always meeting new people and saying good bye to colleagues.
We just went through a budget cut but it was realtively easy and not ugly.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A great job and wonderful experience as long as you can tolerate an inadequate, overworked, blame driven support staff.

Volunteer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros: To live in another country, help underdeveloped communities, and experience… Cons: Management skills are wanting and support is almost non existent in… Advice to Senior Management: Give us an opportunity to do our jobs, do not micro manage, and listen to us. We are the ones in the field, we… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Supporting a mission that is second to none gets makes you want to come to work every day.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros: The mission of the Peace Corps is first rate. Supporting the work of the Peace Corps Volunteers around the world is truly an honor… Cons: Career advancement is limited; tenure is limited by law to 5 years. Employment development and training opportunities… Advice to Senior Management: Need to get a better understanding of issues on an… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.