Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

You have to be flexible and understand that constantly reinventing the wheel is the norm.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The people and the mission. I love what we do - we help people in the poorest parts of the world and in doing so we learn so much about ourselves... as individuals, as a culture, and as a country. One of the most important aspects is that we bring back what we've learned and share it with our friends and family. Also, unlike other government agencies, the people who work there are passionate about what they do. Bureaucracies exist but people strive to work in spite of them.

Cons

10% of the workforce are political appointees - and historically, the ones that are sent to the Peace Corps are unqualified and inexperienced. All senior leadership are political - so every four (or eight) years everyone starts reinventing the wheel all over again. Knowledge management systems are non-existent as are training opportunities, and often opportunities for personal and professional growth. Also, many positions are at low grades while people are expected to not only, consistently, do things above their pay grade but to take on workloads that fall outside the scope of their position and to cover for other positions that are not back-filled - mainly due to lack of funding. (The agency is top-heavy with a large portion of limited resources funding the inordinate number of high-dollar, low-productivity political appointees).

Petition the White House to reduce the number of political appointees. Invest in building knowledge management systems. Assess how many people are doing multiple jobs and why - and take corrective action. Assess for consistency across the agency in regards to like positions having comparable salaries and performance expectations.

435 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Great people, not so great management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Great mission, dedicated hard working people

Cons

Too many political appointees to be effective

Listen to your employees

It was rewarding and challenging

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Traveling to a new place and learning the local culture.

Cons

The rules and regulations can take away from some of joys.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps