There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps - Being a PCV Is Great - Working at HQ Can Be an Less Great

Current Employee - Country Desk Officer
Current Employee - Country Desk Officer

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The mission of the agency is in theory well-intentioned. The line workers at the agency headquarters are usually nice people, mostly RPCVs.

Cons

Management positions are largely political appointees (there are nearly thirty of them).

Re-evaluate some of the ancient practices at HQ (some things seem to be based on processes defined in the 1960s and 70s).

407 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Loving Peace Corps

Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Everyone knows the mission (support the Volunteers) and the three goals of Peace Corps and they aren't plastered on the walls. Little red tape (for government), freedom to do your job and make changes to improve it, a team feeling, a great place to work in terms of people, very warm, truly one of the 10 best places to work in DC as it was rated by Washingtonian Magazine. Never heard anyone say "that's not the way we do it here". An openness to new ideas, new technology, and new ways of doing things throughout Peace Corps. You can have as big an impact as you want.

Cons

The five year rule. Every employee gets a two and a half year tour and if you do a good job, you can get a second tour which takes you to five years and then everyone leaves. It makes institutional memory weak but it is also one of the things that keep people focused on what they want to accomplish before they leave Peace Corps.
    A lot of turnover due to the five year rule means that you're always meeting new people and saying good bye to colleagues.
    We just went through a budget cut but it was realtively easy and not ugly.

None.

A great job and wonderful experience as long as you can tolerate an inadequate, overworked, blame driven support staff.

Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

To live in another country, help underdeveloped communities, and experience the world in ways we could never in America.

Cons

Management skills are wanting and support is almost non existent in Morocco. Hopefully, this is not the case in other countries.

Give us an opportunity to do our jobs, do not micro manage, and listen to us. We are the ones in the field, we have valid perspectives that are in most cases more pertinent than your theory in Rabat. Furthermore, we were chosen by Washington to do this job because we are talented intelligent capable people. Please stop treating us like we are 5 years old.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps