There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Open Peace Corps Response to public and cancel 27-month aimless volunteer stints

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cultural & language immersion

Cons

Medical staff does not care about you; Peace Corps is solely concerned with their own reputation and image; Staff does not support volunteers; Medical issues back in the states are a much bigger issue -- Staff in DC is not timely and they make it really difficult to get reimbursed or even get in to see a specialist

Advice to Management

Assign jobs before volunteers are deployed (NOT once they are in-country); Hire better & knowledgable medical staff; Cancel Peace Corps and open Response type work to the public

reviews filtered by
  1. PCV experiences

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

I learned a lot during my two years in PC and helped a few people.

Cons

The country I am in is not managed well. Problem is that host country nationals (locals) are hired and are not there to do a professional job. My APCD was rotated twice when I was there and did not do a good job.

Good for you.

Current Employee - Volunteer in Baku (Azerbaijan)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Baku (Azerbaijan)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can some killer cross-cultural, real-world experience. This can either be an amazing life-transforming experience where you learn to honestly respect people, or a vacation where they learn to hate Americans. It is a difficult situation, but if you can muster the strength, and the self-reflection to understand, and be understood by the people you serve it is well worth it. Your choice.

Cons

Bureaucracy. If ever bureaucracy killed productivity, it's here. Development is grassroots, you should report down, not up. Also, half of the other people in your position are spoiled upper-middle-class, green-outta-college, punks who have no direction and don't mind pissing on the local culture with their sense of social superiority. (Finding the willpower not to deck them might be a pro.)

Advice to Management

Cut the reporting, instead promote greater language learning. Buy some decent language books, give a few courses in linguistics and anthropology - and provide some academic literature that is up-to-date and relevant.