Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov

I got more out of the Peace Corps experience than I put in.

Former Employee - Community Economic Developer  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Community Economic Developer in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a wondeful opportunity to use your imagination to create positive change in underserved areas.

Cons

Well it varies depending on which region you are assigned to but for me the isolation was the most difficult part of being a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was stationed in Azerbaijan but was unable to indicate that b/c this website doesn't give that as an option. They do have neighboring Armenia though which is smaller in most counts than Azerbaijan so I don't understand why it's not listed.

Create a website for Peace Corps Volunteers to collaborate with each other instead of "reinventing the wheel" each time.

Other reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps - Being a PCV Is Great - Working at HQ Can Be an Less Great

Current Employee - Country Desk Officer
    Current Employee - Country Desk Officer

Pros

The mission of the agency is in theory well-intentioned. The line workers at the agency headquarters are usually nice people, mostly RPCVs.

Cons

Management positions are largely political appointees (there are nearly thirty of them).

Re-evaluate some of the ancient practices at HQ (some things seem to be based on processes defined in the 1960s and 70s).

Loving Peace Corps

Current Employee - Chief  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC

Pros

Everyone knows the mission (support the Volunteers) and the three goals of Peace Corps and they aren't plastered on the walls. Little red tape (for government), freedom to do your job and make changes to improve it, a team feeling, a great place to work in terms of people, very warm, truly one of the 10 best places to work in DC as it was rated by Washingtonian Magazine. Never heard anyone say "that's not the way we do it here". An openness to new ideas, new technology, and new ways of doing things throughout Peace Corps. You can have as big an impact as you want.

Cons

The five year rule. Every employee gets a two and a half year tour and if you do a good job, you can get a second tour which takes you to five years and then everyone leaves. It makes institutional memory weak but it is also one of the things that keep people focused on what they want to accomplish before they leave Peace Corps.
    A lot of turnover due to the five year rule means that you're always meeting new people and saying good bye to colleagues.
    We just went through a budget cut but it was realtively easy and not ugly.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!