There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps was an amazing experience both as a Volunteer abroad as well as an employee based in the US.

Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to expand network globally, while contributing to ground level development work. Learn a language, experience a culture, then come back and share the excitement of having done those things, with others. It's a dream job.

Cons

Still a government agency which can sometimes be bogged down in process and procedure, making it difficult to complete projects.

Advice to Management

You've gone to great lengths to recruit top talent from top schools, with varied backgrounds, representative of the American people... so trust them to better the HQ operations, as you trusted them in the field. Remember the goal of the Volunteer and apply the same principals to everyday work in HQ and all will be well.

reviews filtered by
  1. Internship (FWS)

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interning for Peace Corps allows you to learn more about the volunteers, the way the organization works, and to meet many RPCVs and hear their experiences.

Cons

Many of the lower-level employees are not very respectful of interns (however, the upper-level staff seems to really value your work).

Advice to Management

Make sure there is better supervision of interns- not only do we need a clear boss to make sure we get our work done and know who to ask questions of, but it's also helpful when applying for future positions to know who we should put down as the supervisor who can speak to our quality of work.

2. Admin for Peace Corps Volunteers overseas

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-great people who want to go the extra mile: a real difference from many other federal agencies
    -HQ is a nice, newer building in good location
    -feeling that your job supports efforts that matter and help our world's poorest people

Cons

-5 year rule creates vacancies to move up, but creates high turnover and poor institutional memory
    -funding is poor compared to other agencies

Advice to Management

-eliminate 5 year rule for high-technical knowledge positions
    -reduce number of political appointees

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps