Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov
  www.peacecorps.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Most challenging and rewarding "job" of my life

Former Employee - Volunteer
Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Living in a foreign country, contestant adventure, contributing to the greater good

Cons

Isolating, language barrier, cultural differences

415 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Lifechanging

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

It's an incredible experience and I learned so much about myself. I also learned a lot about grass roots development.

Cons

No clear job description, not a lot of support from administration. It's really really difficult sometimes and I often wanted to go home. But I'm glad I stuck it out.

Excellent

Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues work hard and there is a real sense of shared mission that is difficult to find in most other places of employment. The work at Peace Corps HQ is fast-paced and new ideas are promoted. The organization also instituted a comprehensive leadership development program a few years ago.

Cons

There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it. Regardless of performance, you are out after 5 years, with a small number extended for an additional year or two. Politics are also present. Most of the department heads are political appointees. Though I worked under a republican administration and a democratic administration and did not notice a great difference in the day to day business of the work.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps