Met interesting people

Former Employee - Help Desk in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Help Desk in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity. You get to meet people from all across the united states. This makes the work place such an enjoyable place. Opportunities for international travel to field offices is also a benefit of working at Peace Corps.

Cons

Some people are lazy, especially in the field offices. They give the peace corps such a bad name. The organisation should filter out volunteers without a strong sense of purpose. This will improve the image of the organisation

Advice to Management

increase diversity of the recruits

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. Excellent

Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues work hard and there is a real sense of shared mission that is difficult to find in most other places of employment. The work at Peace Corps HQ is fast-paced and new ideas are promoted. The organization also instituted a comprehensive leadership development program a few years ago.

Cons

There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it. Regardless of performance, you are out after 5 years, with a small number extended for an additional year or two. Politics are also present. Most of the department heads are political appointees. Though I worked under a republican administration and a democratic administration and did not notice a great difference in the day to day business of the work.

2. Intern at the Peace Corps - Office of Overseas Programming and Training - Information Collection and Exchange

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, laid back, friendly people, tons of multicultural aspects since it is the peace corps after all. As an intern, I did a lot of legit work, like managing the library and helping with official significant project. I did not xerox at all.

Cons

Honestly there really isn't anything that bad about when I was working there...I really like it there.