Life-changing experience in Costa Rica

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

My time at Peace Corps was the most formative of my life so far. I ended up serving for four years (extending my service twice), and went on to work as a campus representative at my university.

Cons

This experience is not for everybody. Somebody that requires a lot of direction/supervision would probably not do very well in the Peace Corps. There are many opportunities, but it takes initiative to make them come to fruition.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. "Life-changing experience. Highly recommended for those with interest"

Former Employee - Protected Areas Management Volunteer
    Former Employee - Protected Areas Management Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deeper understanding of what normal life is in other countries than you can get in any development job Language training and exposure Great colleagues Peace Corps organized second year volunteers to be emotional support contacts for first years

Cons

No structure--everything depends on what the community wants to do, so sometimes you don't do much at all Technical training is only moderately useful Somewhat bureaucratic country office Isolation (for some placements)

Advice to Management

More project management training would be very beneficial.

2. The toughest job you'll ever love

Former Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent
    Former Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is truly a life-changing experience to live and work in another country. PCVs learn invaluable communication and problem-solving skills that can transfer to any job after service. Also, I love the Third Goal of the mission statement - "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." Because of this, PC service is never really finished.

Cons

A pro and a con - since many PCVs live far from the PC offices, they receive little support from PC staff. This requires PCVs to develop self-motivation skills.