Peace Corps

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Eye-opening meaningful opportunity

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First hand experience with project development, coordination and management
Lots of responsability - sink or swim!
Supervisors are host country nationals!

Cons

Community buy-in - free-hand out mentality
Sustainability can be ignored in favor of implementing projects - money should come from within not internationally for most types of projects volunteers work with.
PC mission is outdated and does not reflect needs of developing world - goals 2 and 3 happen as a result of living in a community for 2 years.
Many Americans are unaware of what Vols do.

PC mission is outdated!

425 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Life-changing experience in Costa Rica

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

My time at Peace Corps was the most formative of my life so far. I ended up serving for four years (extending my service twice), and went on to work as a campus representative at my university.

Cons

This experience is not for everybody. Somebody that requires a lot of direction/supervision would probably not do very well in the Peace Corps. There are many opportunities, but it takes initiative to make them come to fruition.

The toughest job you'll ever love

Former Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent
    Former Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is truly a life-changing experience to live and work in another country. PCVs learn invaluable communication and problem-solving skills that can transfer to any job after service.

Also, I love the Third Goal of the mission statement - "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." Because of this, PC service is never really finished.

Cons

A pro and a con - since many PCVs live far from the PC offices, they receive little support from PC staff. This requires PCVs to develop self-motivation skills.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps