Well supported as a volunteer while accomplishing sustainable development goals

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent volunteer support in every aspect including health, mental, and administrative. I received the best medical care of my life.

Cons

Pay as a volunteer is abysmal and I did not receive a pay raise my entire 2 years of service, despite filling out several living allowance surveys and obvious signs of incredible cost of living increases in the country. Stipend was not enough to live on and I had to support myself with outside funding.

Other Reviews for Peace Corps

Stressful Environment of Office of Budget Analysis

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Work with lots of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) who are passionate about their experiences, and always have a good story to tell.
    -Some cool special events and guest speakers from local and international government officials.

Cons

-Extremely stressful government position dealing with possible furloughs and constantly shrinking budget
    -Stale environment on financial floor

Other offices seem to have a lot more fun, but in OBA it was extremely boring, uninteresting and stressful.

The toughest job you'll ever love

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tremendous potential for personal and professional growth. There can be a lot of flexibility in the projects you are able to engage in during your service. NCE status for one year after you finish your service. International, cross-cultural, and language immersion experience, as well as the potential for leadership/capacity building/teaching experience.

Cons

The Peace Corps benefits innovative thinkers and self-starters most. Due to the diversity of each country/region/town placement, there is no blanket training that the country offices are able to provide that fully prepare you for a specific job or task. It is not a guarantee to be able to walk away from your volunteer experience with a lot of deliverables or concrete impact analysis.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!