Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov
  www.peacecorps.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

It's what you make of it.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Independence in most situations to start programs that address community needs. Ability to live and integrate abroad.

Cons

The relationships with site organizations seem to take precedence over volunteer compatibility.

Therapeutic counseling is needed for volunteers as many of the more difficult challenges are psychological. Administrators should be trained more often.

423 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Well supported as a volunteer while accomplishing sustainable development goals

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent volunteer support in every aspect including health, mental, and administrative. I received the best medical care of my life.

Cons

Pay as a volunteer is abysmal and I did not receive a pay raise my entire 2 years of service, despite filling out several living allowance surveys and obvious signs of incredible cost of living increases in the country. Stipend was not enough to live on and I had to support myself with outside funding.

The toughest job you'll ever love

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tremendous potential for personal and professional growth. There can be a lot of flexibility in the projects you are able to engage in during your service. NCE status for one year after you finish your service. International, cross-cultural, and language immersion experience, as well as the potential for leadership/capacity building/teaching experience.

Cons

The Peace Corps benefits innovative thinkers and self-starters most. Due to the diversity of each country/region/town placement, there is no blanket training that the country offices are able to provide that fully prepare you for a specific job or task. It is not a guarantee to be able to walk away from your volunteer experience with a lot of deliverables or concrete impact analysis.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps