Volunteer experience

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The experience of living in another country and culture is great. I retired early in order to have other experiences while I am still young enough. I am glad I took the chance.

Cons

Working in another culture can be frustrating. They say you need to be flexible to be successful in PC, and they are right!

Countries are different. Cookie cutter policies can be problematic. Allow country directors more freedom to set policy.

Other Reviews for Peace Corps

life changing

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Chirpan (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Chirpan (Bulgaria)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

living in another country
    learning a new language
    building life skills such as patience

Cons

I did not feel like I received adequate training, or support from the peace corps staff

Upon entering my site, I did not receive the written feedback from the previous volunteer. When I left, staff did not pass along my written feedback to the next volunteer. Keep in mind, this feedback was asked for by peace corps staff with the intention to help the next volunteer.

Please do your due diligence to ensure volunteer safety and a satisfactory experience. Believe them and back them up when conflicts with host country nationals arise.

Eye opening Experience

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Ashgabat (Turkmenistan)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Ashgabat (Turkmenistan)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

See the world from the perspective of a different culture. Learn a new language. Get to take control of your job and responsibilities. Learn to be truly independent and how to deal with situations you might not otherwise encounter. 24/7 access to call a Peace Corps doctor for health concerns.

Cons

Culture Shock and cross cultural misunderstandings. A feeling of isolation at times. Getting used to new food at first. Doing laundry by hand and dealing with third world hygiene beliefs.

More staff support.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!