Peace Corps
www.peacecorps.gov Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

The mission is noble but the management of it is not

Country Desk Officer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

ProsThe mission of Peace Corps, as first outlined by President Kennedy, remains true today. The noble acheivements and enthusiasm by Volunteers past and present are the fuel that keeps this organization alive. Interaction with volunteers can be invigorating and rewarding. The management here is understanding if you need some extra time off to deal with any issues, and there is enough downtime to get in a good vacation. The people that work here - from nurses to IT specialists, to desk jockeys to and consultants - are fantastic. While some are returned Peace Corps volunteers, many are not and yet still can identify with the underlying mission of providing to support to those who are supporting others. Peace Corps does good work and everyone here is so enthusiastic about what it is they do. It's a contagious feeling and a nice break from corporate go-get'em attitudes or the me-first attitude in other fed agencies.

ConsPeace Corps is a "boutique" agency in the U.S. federal government - very refined towards a mission that contribute little to other agencies and departments outside of it. The Peace Corps is separated from the State Department, but the politics of where Peace Corps will operate is about as complicated and policy-driven as anything could be in Washington. If you love politicking and glad-handing, Peace Corps HQ is an ideal place for you. This place is loaded with political appointees - the White House treats this place as the consolation prize for people that couldn't get elected into office or simply know somebody that knows somebody. A downside of a boutique agency is its subsequent tiny budget. This place is about as cheap as they come.

A downside is the five-year rule - the requirement that you must leave the agency after 5 years, and cannot return to the agency until another 5 years have elapsed. This is supposed to offer fresh thinking in the agency but all it does is contribute to brain drain and loss of institutional knowledge. Furthermore, I am convinced that employees here are chewed up and spit out, without much attention to professional growth and preparation to leave the agency, which everyone must do (except for those appointees!).

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees, share information, allow for continuing education, let your staff travel overseas more often, allow for enhanced responsibility and upward mobility. Reward your staff with bonuses or time off awards so they understand the value of their contributions. Finally - enough with the speeches about how we'll do everything to support the volunteer. How about supporting your own staff, who you see and work with everyday? It sure seems like you'd move mountains for people you don't even know, but when we ask for a raise or to go travel, you act like we shot your dog.

The toughest job that you'll be too embarrassed to admit you hate.

PCV (Former Employee)
Nairobi (Kenya)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Fantastic experience, graduate degree fellowships, language skills, life time friends. Cons: Pay isn't great, difficult living arrangements, no clear direction for… Advice to Senior Management: Most of the training and application process is about building realistic expectation for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Transformative experience.

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
Lomé, Maritime (Togo)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros: While everyone's experience differs, mine was very open ended. I was given the chance to live in a town in West Africa, interview people… Cons: Living in a town in Africa comes with many challenges. At first, one is frequently sick. As a foreign woman, you have to… Advice to Senior Management: Additional opportunities for collaboration among volunteers would be helpful. As the beneficiary communities become more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.