Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Life-changing

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

What other company will pay you to follow your passion abroad? Support from the company is incomparable.

Cons

Application process can take up to a year or even more, files get lost, you think you've been forgotten, etc.

425 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Utterly Lacking in Substance

Former Employee - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It paid $10/hour as a work-study job.

Cons

I gained no substantive experience whatsoever, and nobody had an interest in my development. All anyone wanted me for was gruntwork, and I was the most underutilized person in the office. I spent months asking for something real to do. They simply could never come up with anything. Their internship program is ill-managed, and led to wasted time for both parties. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but working for the Peace Corps disqualifies you from working for an intelligence agency for 4 years. This has now precluded me from interning with the CIA or DIA, and I was never made aware of this.

Get it together.

Well-meaning

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Amazing fellow volunteers and locals, integrating into a new culture, great language preparation, get to help people who really need it

Cons

Loneliness at site (only allow one volunteer per site), boring trainings, lack of federal funding, difficult to affect lasting change

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps