Peace Corps

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Review

Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer
Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best experience of my life. I had a great village and people to work with. The primary project I was assigned wasn't really viable when I got to my village so I had to utilize relationship building to understand needs in the community and then build secondary projects that were challenging and meaningful to the communities I worked in. It was a really great experience to understand myself, how I work, and gain a global perspective.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter or work well in ambiguous work setting you may have a hard time.

425 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Peace Corps is a fantastic agency to work for.

Current Employee - Regional Recruiter
    Current Employee - Regional Recruiter

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries with annual raises, great mission-based work, awesome coworkers. Lots of autonomy for regional offices and opportunities to work on varying projects. Great work-life balance with flex time and telework policies.

Cons

Regional offices dont provide the upward mobility working at headquarters does. The 5 year rule is also difficult to work around and results in a phenomenal loss of institutional memory.

Dont ask for your employees opinions if you've already got a plan that you're moving forward with.

Strong, mission driven organization with passionate and motivated staff.

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Co-workers at the Peace Corps have a strong sense of purpose (Peace Corps HQ). You can tell your work is doing good in the world and people are very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

The different departments in the Peace Corps could work better together. The five-year rule (most employees can only work five years at a time) has made it difficult to maintain as much institutional memory as other organizations.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps