You'll come back a changed, person. I did.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have the freedom to explore your professional interests while having the network of volunteers and staff assist you. You can make it as meaningful as you want it. I keep things busy and had plenty of experiences that I can pull from, even several years later

Cons

The hardest part is working inside of another culture -- and two years is a short time to really affect much.

Doing a great job

Other Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Review

Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best experience of my life. I had a great village and people to work with. The primary project I was assigned wasn't really viable when I got to my village so I had to utilize relationship building to understand needs in the community and then build secondary projects that were challenging and meaningful to the communities I worked in. It was a really great experience to understand myself, how I work, and gain a global perspective.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter or work well in ambiguous work setting you may have a hard time.

Peace Corps is a fantastic agency to work for.

Current Employee - Regional Recruiter
    Current Employee - Regional Recruiter

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salaries with annual raises, great mission-based work, awesome coworkers. Lots of autonomy for regional offices and opportunities to work on varying projects. Great work-life balance with flex time and telework policies.

Cons

Regional offices dont provide the upward mobility working at headquarters does. The 5 year rule is also difficult to work around and results in a phenomenal loss of institutional memory.

Dont ask for your employees opinions if you've already got a plan that you're moving forward with.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!