Peace Corps Volunteer- Nicaragua

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

+ Excellent staff support + Community placement

Cons

- Salary does not usually increase with inflation

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Satisfying Experience

Former Employee - Campus Recruiter and Former Volunteer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Campus Recruiter and Former Volunteer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Peace Corps part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In general PC does what it says it does, for very little money, and for some of the poorest nations/peoples on the planet. Very good at language training (usually) and puts people on a good pipeline for further international work.

Cons

Often hire staff who failed at village or community-level volunteer positions, simply based on the fact that they are more visible in the capital cities (meaning they aren't in their communities). Not selective enough in selecting volunteers. Too vulnerable to changes in U.S. leadership (Congress e.g.). Hire senior staff for U.S. positions who were never volunteers.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at who has been effective on the ground. They are usually not selecting themselves to come to the capital cities or to join special committees but staying put and getting projects completed at the community level. Focus more on local languages than on colonial languages, or at least do both. Consider going into countries where security risks are a challenge rather than always wussing out and fearing for your reputation over helping those in need.

2. Peace Corps Volunteer Review

Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - U S Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best experience of my life. I had a great village and people to work with. The primary project I was assigned wasn't really viable when I got to my village so I had to utilize relationship building to understand needs in the community and then build secondary projects that were challenging and meaningful to the communities I worked in. It was a really great experience to understand myself, how I work, and gain a global perspective.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter or work well in ambiguous work setting you may have a hard time.