Great way to meet people, but don't apply if you like to feel sorry for yourself

Former Employee - Education Volunteer (Mozambique)  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Education Volunteer (Mozambique) in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

I met so many people while I was in Mozambique! I was like a celebrity. It was so great to understand what life is like for the majority of the people on it: baths out of buckets, rickety vibrant houses, and truly seasonal food selection. My host family was great. Once I got to site, I had some great opportunities to make a difference in my students' lives, because not all of them have anyone to look up to or maybe their parents don't hold them accountable for their actions, I could do that for them.
I went to the bank 3 hours from my site, but when I got there I got to spend a day in a town where any other American who was there probably spent
I got seemingly pretty advanced medical treatment for my knees, I was surprised that Peace Corps would pick up the tab for that but they did.

Cons

I say you shouldn't apply if you feel sorry for yourself because you need to be really optimistic while you're abroad, otherwise you might become a bitter volunteer, one of the people who is always complaining about your host country rather than forgiving it its faults and enjoying what it has to offer. The living allowance at training was plenty and would have been helpful if I'd saved some of it instead of spending it all on beer, the montly living allowance was not enough.
My kids were not as hungry for knowledge and a "better" life as I thought they would be. Expect to repeat the words "Open your notebooks" a lot.

If you have to administratively separate someone, treat them with the respect and dignity that they deserve. Volunteers are giving two of the best years of their life to serve under you and deserve to be treated and considered as a respected employee even after the decision has been made to fire them.

Other Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps still a great way to see the world and help others

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The language training is excellent. You get to work with some of the most interesting people you'll ever meet. Being an RPCV looks great on a resume.

Cons

Your hands are somewhat tied when it comes to being able to speaking openly (especially when it reflects a negative viewpoint) about your host country.

Get to know your volunteers. It's one thing to talk to them over the phone and to be receptive to them in the comfort of your office, but quite another to go out and stay with them even for a brief amount of time at their site.

It is great to volunteer with Peace Corps!

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

My work was meaningful and not stressful. I made great relationships and had wonderful experiences.

Cons

Development work is not easy in general, and it can be lonely.

I think that you could improve training for technical knowledge.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!